Agnostic.com

10 4

What teachable moments do you give your children?

I have a 9 year old and I am constantly stoping to identify to her that what I am saying is a learning moment. Not only because I want to make sure she realizes it but because it is I that is realizing it.
Being young she is stubborn and doesn't want to do the things I set up for her and fights me going into them and just about always enjoys it by the end.
I tell her, what ever it is, just go, give it a couple minutes because you can always walk out, but if you don't go just think of all the things you would have ALREADY missed out on had I not insisted.
To this she said, "Lets make a video so I can tell my future self what I've learned today so I know to always try something even when I don't want to"
I know I will still be struggling to get her to go do things when she would rather play, but.I know the lesson is sinking in.

What's your teaching story?

ThomasLevi 6 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I found that my sons would learn the most if we weren't "having a talk". If I wanted to learn something from them or make a point, I would play a game of horse with them, or something similar and just have a conversation. If we were having fun they weould engage. It really worked.

My children loved to go to the V&A museum, upstairs there are Egyptian Mummy's, and they loved making up scarier and scarier stories. In the National gallery we would share our favourites and say why we liked them or not

wow love that 9 year old !

Me to!

I have always tried to give my kids truthful answers to things, instead of made up stuff.

I have a lot of science knowledge and I try to tell them correct answers. If they are just too hard a question, I sometimes defer and tell that that there are other things they need to learn first to understand.

Also, it is critical to actually listen to them. And as an atheist, avoid religious platitudes, obviously.

I've done the same, I want mine to always have a firm grasp on reality.

“Make good choices.” What could you have done differently?/ what would be a better way to handle that? How do you want to handle this problem? Encouraging him to consider the point of view of the other person in any situation.
Talking with him about how HE can handle a problem rather than stepping in to handle it for him.

This is going to seem insignificant compared to some of the comments here, but I look for ways to demonstrate scientific concepts. For example, to demonstrate how much stronger magnetism is than gravity, we'll lift a piece of metal off the floor with a magnet - this shows that the magnetic pull of a tiny magnet is stronger than the gravitational pull of the entire planet. We do things like that all the time and it's gotten them really engaged in science. The only problem is that they tend to get bored in science class ; p

Oh, my kids are 9 and 11, so right in your target age group, @ThomasLevi

@TelegramMike I keep nudging mine to be more scientifically minded, I get a bit of resistance, her biggest complaint of me is that I am always trying to make her think. Kids.
But I've kept a mix of more science based books in rotation for when I read to her at night and she doesn't complain about those, except for when I go off on a tangent.

I tried to take my son to as many events and vacations that I could. I tried to teach him to treat everyone like you would like to be treated. I also tried to do the things that were important to him ( getting up at midnight to get the " new video game" a soon as it was released). His father was a homophobe, and one day he came to me, he was about 17, and he told me one of his friends came out as being gay. I asked him what he said to his friend, he said "I told him I would treat him like he had always treated him." He said "I told him nothing would change with their relationship." It was one of my proudest moments of my son!

"I tried to teach him to treat everyone like you would like to be treated."
I've tried a different tactic and ask her how she would feel if treated the way she was treating someone else. While she is very empathetic towards others she doesn't always see the impact of her behavior. My goal is that she see the diversity of people as a whole and no one is any more different than anyone else, that it is only there context that changes. I also take every chance I get to point out that she is a weirdo just like her father and we have no room to judge anyone. I think this has helped her develop friendships with kids that some others in her class deem weird. It's always wonderful and rewarding when they reveal themselves to be a well rounded person.

@ThomasLevi absolutely! Parenting is not a perfect science by any means, we can only do the best we can and hopefully some of it will stick!

@ThomasLevi absolutely! Parenting is not a perfect science by any means, we can only do the best we can and hopefully some of it will stick!

When my son was 19, well all through his teen years he was a total *^>%^8 , so when he was 19 I took risk and bought a ticket to India for him and his sister (she was 16 at the time)There you go have a holiday and look after you sis - They both had a brilliant time but most of all he was a changed man _(he went away a boy and returned a man , no more than that a gentleman) They both have the travel bug , work while away -and both have several languages - Job done

It is an amazing thing to have happen, travel has a unique way of maturing people.
My mother who was an alcoholic for most of her life, joined the Peace Corps at the tender age of 55 and what ever it was that made her drink she grew out of while there.
I don't know how much thought you had put into sending your kids to India of all places but I am happy that the return on investment was so great and that you gave your son a gift beyond measure. Nicely done!

A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to explain to my 9-year-old great-nephew, that not everyone believes in god, and not everyone believes in the 10 Commandments. Not believing in those things does not make them "bad" people. He seemed genuinely surprised that not everyone believes in his god, or any god. I didn't bring my atheism into the conversation. I'll do that when he's older, and the opportunity presents itself again, because I know it will.

I have always been an atheist and an outspoken one for most of my daughters life and I have always been very clear that my disbelief does not mean there is no god and that is something she will need to work out. I do video's and have had her in a few, but she seems to take pleasure in telling her friends that I do not think there is a god, and occasionally the parents. Kids have a lot to contend with when it comes to religion, I believe in maximus exposure to all religions to help them sort it out.

I try to make my 11yo daughter eat something new every time we go out. Usually something off my plate, she usually doesn't like it either, but on occasion she discovers that she really likes patty melts. Also anytime she doesn't understand what's going on around her, I ask her questions that steer her thinking toward the knowledge.

My daughters biggest complaint of me is that "You're always trying to make me think! That's what I go to school for." which I find kind of funny. I tell her over and over, school is not about learning, it's about learning how to learn and it is the world that is the real classroom.

@ThomasLevi I like your video log idea with your daughter. I tried to get mine to do a "dining diary" to keep track of what she has tried and rate the meals. It didn't stick, but I bring it up every now and again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25045
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.