Agnostic.com

18 1

If the Object of Your Affection became allergic to your pet, what would you do?

One of my friends dumped the guy... another gave away her dog. (Yikes!)

Hope I never have to make this choice.
What would you do?

SeptemberWoman 5 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Then sadly, he wouldn’t be Mr. Right. I adopted my pets and I look upon it as a real adoption. You don’t give up your kids.

Punch Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

It's unlikely that my bike would become allergic to my cat, but if it did, the cat would have to go!

That would depend entirely on the nature of the relationship. If it's someone I was very heavily invested in (married to, about to marry, etc) I would probably try to find a local friend able to take the animal and allow me to visit whenever possible. If it was a new relationship I think I'd keep the love of my pet and do my best to let the person down easily.

d_day Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

His ass be gone.

I've always told the men in my life "long after you're gone, I'll still have my cat". I still feel that way.

Replace pet with kid, and you can guess my answer. Would not get rid of the pet, but get the some treatment.

Boy, bye!

My doggos are going nowhere.

I will not rid of my dogs anytime soon, unconditional love.

Clean the home and clothing vigorously. ...keep my SERVICE CATs in their room while my future love is present in the remainder of my home. ...get the allergy pills. ...not our fault new love is allergic and untreated causes of cat dander allergy. ...but my cats will get extra baths exceeding their normal 3 per year

You give your cats baths? Brave man.

@ReadyforaChange Right?

@ReadyforaChange 3 times a year very easy to do .....fill a big bathtub with the shower hose ....it's silent that way and sit in the rising water with your cat....holding her/him petting rubbing ears all the contact your cat is used to and when the water is hip deep soaking tail deep rub in the best cat shampoo. ....use a big cup to rinse off with one hand other hand hold cat's shoulders. ...drain the tub .....squeeze the clear water out of tail feet back chest then wrap your cat in your biggest bath towel. ...hold him/her for 30 minutes then let go inside the closed bathroom to minimize water stains all over the house. ...cats will lick themselves dry in another hour. ...feed them their best favorite food and shower off yourself VOILA CLEAN 4 PAW FURR FAMILY

Dump the dude / gal.

I've never had anyone say they were allergic but my most recent ex initially complained about my dog living inside and that I loved her more than him. My response was "I've had her longer"

He had been raised that dogs lived outside. My dog was well behaved and was good at catching anything you threw mid-air.

A few years later, his brother asks him to watch a dog for a few weeks. It's been going on 10 years and he still has the dog. Inside.

Love these answers. I agree! The two cats that own me, Bonnie and Clyde, were rescued from the age of 6 weeks, and are now 18 months old. I'm a cat person, always have been. So -- we're a package deal!

They look content! I have been a cat person all my life too. My daughter started bringing them home at an early age and I ended up adopting all of them! At one time I had six! Now, sadly, most of those six have passed on and I have just the one...Boozer. He's an odd duck but I love him.

My KITI&LAILA 49 months 20 days package deal

I've been in 2 relationships where the other person did not like my: cat, then dog, neither worked out.
These things need to be discussed early.

I've also avoided spending any time with someone in particular who's been asking me out regularly for a year+ , and recently found out that they are
1- allergic to dogs
2- just admitted they were chewed up by my beloved breed as a child

Given my history with such things would want to discuss "what ifs" in an allergy scenario.
I'd certainly do my part, keep animal cleaner perhaps, vacuum more often, and hope the other would be amendable to allergy shots.
(I'd no idea I'm allergic to both cats & dogs along with weeds/pollen until being tested, but shots changed my life. )
I spent waaay too many of my best years dogless and will keep them as long as I'm can manage it, they bring so much to the table and anyone who's amendable to catching "dobermanitis" shall have priority.

I'd dump the guy. The only way I'd get rid of my pet is if my child had an allergy.

Oh, man I hope I never have to make that choice. I am definitely leaning towards keeping my cats.

Why don't you wait until it happens to you and make your decision then. Nobody here will know about you, your pet and your object of your affection. I hope it does make sense. You got to Handle your boat.

I have always believed that if a person has a pet with them in their photos, that person will choose the pet over a partner almost every time in a conflict. Just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Not exactly the same thing, but if my dog doesn't like someone I'm dating I would dump that person. But then again I trust my dog more than I trust humans.

I've watched Delila interact with others. Most people she's happy to have them pet and play with them. There has been others that she won't allow anywhere near me. With her being a Shiba Inu, I'm sure a lot of it is because she's protective of me, however with my dismal choice in men I'll take her word. So far that hasn't been tested though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25168
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.