Agnostic.com

9 0

I'm a curious person, and I have a question for anyone who might have a medical answer: I often get abdominal pain and nausea. I take prescription medicines, and they usually work. But once in a while, it's just not enough. In those instances, I eat a fresh lemon, sliced and salted. This always seems to work. Does anyone know why?

marga 7 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well there's the placebo effect and attribution effect right there already but if we ignore them you may have abdominal migraine (not all migraines cause headaches) which may be influenced by ph and electrolyte inbalance-where the acid (from the lemon) and salt come into play.

stu8 Level 4 Feb 17, 2018

I was about to say something very similar.

Could be the prescription medicines are making you nauseous and destroying the beneficial bacteria in your system giving you your abdominal pains. Maybe. Why don't you consult a holistic MD? These doctors shy away from big Pharma and concentrate on finding the real cause. They will use x-rays and thorough examination when indicated and will proceed with natural remedies first which have no side effects and which are more effective in bringing you into optimum health. Find a really good holistic doctor.

I can not imagine eating a fresh lemon salted? Please see your Doctor or a new Doctor.

lol, I've always eaten fresh lemons with salt on them. Same with grapefruit....yummy

@marga So when did your taste buds first break? 😉

It could be something simple, easily cured with eating fresh, raw food, but it could also be symptom of something far more dangerous, like cancer.

No, but I know lemons are good for us...I drink lemon in my water all the time!

There’s nothing wrong with lemons! But what if it’s a serious issue?

@RushinroundWI she was told by others to seek medical attention, no need to repeat that.

Was this comment really necessary? (Looking through time stamps on other comments....????) what a way to encourage communication! I feel a degree of condescension, why is that? @Freedompath

@RushinroundWI since I am not a mind reader, you will need to explain why I showed 'condescension' to Marga, (or you)? I am confused? I am not here to 'encourage communication'...my job is to express myself, clearly and honestly! I did not know there was a formula to follow as to responding...other than respectfully and honestly? I don't live in your mind, I express myself from my own knowledge and life experience! It even appears that you question my past communications, in conjuction with your responce above? You seem to think my comments do not meet your standards. Nothing in my statement about repeating 'seeking medical' advice was insulting or condescensing! If the manner in which I express my self is not meeting your expectations, please block me as I find it very hurtful that you would confront me on the way I express myself!

Woa Nelly! That’s overreaching! Please .. at no time I have questioned anything from your past discussions. I’m not god to setup standards for communications. No need to block, I don’t like quarrels. I’d like you to ignore me from now on. Please have a peaceful discussion. @Freedompath

Please consult with gastroenterologist. Asking people here could lead you down a rabbit hole.

You might consider screening local chiropractors to learn which, if any, use applied kinesiology as a diagnostic modality. It can be particularly effective if your problem is related to hiatal hernia/ acid reflux etc. If you have a friend nearby, get them to apply some squeeze/pinch type type pressure to the fleshy area adjacent to the thumb base, between the thumb base and the metacarpal beneath your forefinger on your right hand
. If it is sensitive/painful, your problem likely is related.

Saddly, it could be a bunch of things. Also, it is not unusual that an abdominal ailment gives very confusing symptoms that may cause a misdiagnosis. My recent gallbladder had me convinced that I had major heart problems (shortness of breath, palpations, arhythmia, light headedness, dizzy spells, nausea) and about to die at any moment. A sonogram showed I had "sludge" in my gallbladder. This indirectly caused acid reflux which inflamed my stomach sphincters, the upper one caused pressure on my Vagus Nerve, which caused my bizarre symptoms. I felt no pain from acid reflux, and only pressure from the gallbladder. I suggest going to a real Doctor.

Actually, I am under a doctor's care, and I know what causes the symptoms. I was just curious as to why the lemon worked.

@marga , low stomach acidity?

@Reignmond I don't know, and I haven't had a chance to ask my doctor, but I will the next time I see him. But your comment makes sense. I'll post an update after I see the doctor in about 2 weeks.

@marga , good luck. Hopefully, it is a minor issue.

Maybe because it is alkaline and not acidic. Not medical practitioner, but most people get too much acidic foods. Just a thought

I had actually thought of that as a possibility....thank you...wait a minute, lemons are acidic, aren't they?

@ArashL I'm sorry if I misled people....I do know the cause already, I'm just curious as to why a lemon works.

Lemons are alkaline@marga

@Melind really? I just looked it up and it says they are acidic, with a pH of between 2 and 3.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.