Agnostic.com

3 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Big deal some one set a start date and that was fine.

My understanding is that if, and it's a big if, a single person, Joshua, later turned into the Christ figure, had been born, it was around 4BC. But honestly, the scholars argue over this, and no one really knows for sure, even if you believe in a historical figure, which personally I don't. Then again, there are scholars like Richard Carrier who speculates that several preachers called Joshua may have existed in the first century, fulfilling the earlier Jewish prophecy of such a preacher turned saviour of the Jews, and over time these got moulded into the Jesus story. Historically speaking it's a mess, and only believers believe otherwise.

I’m pretty sure many people here don’t think Jesus was born at all. AD is not generally used any more, the standard is now CE (current era)

Common Era and you are correct. When I was in grade school we all thought that BC meant "before Christ" and that AD meant "after death." It was nonsense. As for what year we are really in it depends on what calendar people are using. Do a search on Ethiopia. They are not in 2018.

@DenoPenno I had a friend who lived and worked in Ethiopia for several years. Long enough to need a local drivers license. When he came into NY and needed to rent a car,, hilarity ensued. Their year is four years before ours since they don’t count the years of occupation. The license seemed to have expired.

@DenoPenno BC is indeed ‘Before Christ’, AD is Anno Domini (in the year of our lord. That’s why it’s now CE as the others are Christian.

@Cassiopeia Actually 'Anno Domini' is from the Latin words, Anno does mean YEAR, but Domini is the PLURAL of the Latin 'dominus' meaning Master, not Lord therefore Anno Domini in the religious sense as previously used truly means 'In the Year of OUR MASTERS.'

In my understanding CE (Common Era) actually relates to the year Jesus supposedly was crucified and died. Further speculation has Jesus being born 33 years ealier. The time before death is known as BCE Before Common Era. I could be wrong. but this is the way I was presented it in college.

@Triphid well, I am not going to argue with both the Oxford and the Cambridge dictionaries, who both say it means ‘the year of our Lord’.

[dictionary.cambridge.org]

[en.oxforddictionaries.com]

@Cassiopeia BCE is now the accepted dating instead of BC. It is before our common era.

@DenoPenno yes, I know that, it has nothing to do with my comment. I was replying to triphid who said that anno domino did not mean in the year of our lord.

@Cassiopeia IC. I am reacting to and replying to all the comments of the others who have replied.

@DenoPenno - ok then. It’s just that you tagged me, which is confusing if you are replying to someone else 🙂

@Cassiopeia Well you can do that if you like BUT I was only stating a Latin Grammatical FACT.

@Triphid - it is a contraction.of ‘anno Domini nostri Jesu Christi’, you can’t just translate the two words independently.

Oxford and Cambridge are two of the most respected academic institutions in the world.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:252725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.