Agnostic.com

4 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This should come as no surprise. This is a Democrat in Texas not California. We are the the largest producers of energy( oil and wind) in the US.
If he was a rep in any other state, he would have to make decisions to preserve the industry in those states.
You cannot honestly expect him to be a Bernie.. coming from Texas. I just wanted him to kick Cruz’s butt.

[nymag.com]

This article explains the context far better. Beto is not a fraud. He simply isn't as progressive as some of us would like. Obama was a bit of a disappointment to many in the leftwing. There is a deeper issue of how best to view and deal with "two party" system in the U.S.

Very true. Calling him a "fraud" is hyperbolic and divisive.

Wow. That article explains it perfectly. Thanks!

I live in Texas. Beto is from Texas, running for Texas and a rep in Texas. Oil is huge in Texas. Saying Beto is a fraud because he took money from Oil execs is misleading. In Texas big Oil gives huge to both sides. The difference between Beto and the others is that it was not given as
PAC. Saying he is a fraud because some of his voting record was beneficial to the industry that probably employs more people in his state than any other is disingenuous.

Also, he never has explicitly come out for Medicare For All. He has said he is open to the idea and agrees the current system is broken, but I always noticed that he never explicitly supported it except to say that it may be an answer.

I familiarized myself with Beto's stances and his record during his campaign. He is fairly left but not as progressive as many want. But calling him a fraud is just inflammatory and wrong. He is just in Texas and trying to do the best for his state.

Normally I like TYT but now this has me wondering how incomplete their take on other things are. Here I think they took a few facts partially out of context (Texas mainly) and suggest a cause and effect that they don't prove and don't really provide any evidence of.

And just for the record, I am fairly progressive, support Medicare for all, am very against big Oil (I even drive a hybrid in Texas 🙂 ), live in Texas and support Beto.

Big oil led the charge for climate denial. Surviving climate change requires stopping use of fossil fuels, both coal and oil. IMO taking that money was fraud because he said he didn't take PAC money. When an oil company organizes their executives to give the maximum individual contribution to a candidate, so the candidate gets several hundred thousand dollars, it is fraud. It is unfortunate the Texas economy depends on oil. I live in Texas, too. The use of oil and coal already kill people, and the number who die is growing. It may kill all of us.

@EdEarl I never heard anything about an official policy organizing contributions. I consulted for a while years ago and was sometimes farmed out to Oil and Gas companies (one of the reasons I don't do consulting any more). There would sometimes be an email with a "guide" to candidates from the company, but I think to suggest an organized effort by executives to sway an election via contributions is not realistic. I currently work at my corporate office for an aerospace company and regularly attend upper level meetings with the CEO and directors. Despite this being aerospace, which is directly effected by taxes and politics, they don't ever talk politics. My experience in oil and gas was similar. Yes they are executives and certainly have an interest but to suggest a coordinated effort ignores the reality that they are all people often with different positions. To suggest that being an executive somehow automatically makes one the member of a secret cabal with a hidden agenda is wrong. I'm not trying to be pro-executive here, just trying to point out that there's a bit of "conspiracy theory" vibe to the whole thing.
I agree that oil and gas are killing people. I would like to see us move to total renewables right now. One of the reasons I left consulting was I didn't like some of the places they sent me. And I took a pay cut back then to do it.

@towkneed There must be a paper trail that TYT discovered with evidence of the contributions. I haven't seen it, and don't think TYT has any cause to invent it. They were Beto friendly, until this report.

@towkneed there is alec, of course. but that doesn't mean that anyone who contributes to a candidate is a member of alec. alec doesn't support democrats, anyway.

g

I was cynical about this guy as soon as the Dems began touting him. Not surprised he turned out to be another fraud.

I guess I will always be skeptical of new faces in the Dem circle that claim to be progressive after being suckered by John Edwards, the ultimate fraud, back in his time. Better to believe in someone like Bernie or another progressive who's actually been around a long time and has a proven track record on votes and policy.

I learned of his questionable voting record during his run for Senate. Better than Cruz. Not who I want for POTUS, but almost any Dem over GOP candidate.

@EdEarl Any Dem would be better than nutcase Cruz for a seat in congress.

@TomMcGiverin Yes, a pathetic nutcase, but his wife seems worse from what I've heard. She is a multimillionaire and cries about being poor.

@EdEarl Gee, like I always say about lottery jackpots, I think I could somehow scrape by on just a single million..... Might have to do without that boat or a second home, lol!

@TomMcGiverin Yep, it would be tough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.