Agnostic.com

70 4

How to respond to those who say they will pray for you?

How do yall respond or feel about those who say to you, "I'll pray for you" or "you're in my prayers"? I understand that for that person, it's how they show that they care, but if they know that you are not religious, then are they being almost condescending?

AnnaMD 5 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on the nature of the comment and the attitude of the person saying it to me. If I they are a condescending christian type, I respond with "hail satan" and smile. If they just don't know any better, I smile and say nothing.

I get this a lot because my wife is an active Catholic. If I mention that I'm waiting to hear back from a job interview or the results of a medical test and get an "I'll say a prayer" or "I'll be praying for you", I'm kind of ok with that because these clowns actually think it will do some good. When it bothers me is when I tell them that I'm a non-believer and they say it because the unspoken part is that they are saying I'm broken and need God in my life to be fixed. These generally get a "please don't bother - I've never been happier" or "that really isn't necessary".

My belief is that everything is energy. Meditating and praying are essentially the same thing. Sending good vibrations your way is their way of sending love, peace and goodness. Simply accept it, say thank you and you will send them some good energy also.

I'd probably say "thank you, but your prayers are not necessary".

Its best not to be rude and get mad at anyone that says that. Just a simple "thank you" or "i'll keep you in my thoughts too" is good

"I will talk to my cat for you..."

I would definitely say thank you, but if there comes a time where you lose your patience with religious folks, (which very well might happen if they are too persistent or won't quit bothering you about it) I would say something along the lines of "I respect your beliefs, but please stop being persistent because it brings no comfort to me at all"

If they are saying they will pray for because I am an atheist and they think they can save me , I tell them that I’all
Write Santa for them.
If they say it because they think they’re sincerely helping with a problem I don’t reply.

I use the line from the movie Paul, voiced by the great Seth Rogan; "Whatever, dude".

I try to see it as they're doing their best to show they care. It's what they've been taught... Yes, we understand that they might as well say: "I'll dedicate my next burp to you, because that's just as useful", but they're legitimately trying to be kind, so I don't see any reason to interpret it as condescending. Kind of a pick your battles issue... This isn't really one I'm willing to get into arguments over since the person isn't trying to beat you over the head with religion, but is just trying to be nice/helpful in the way they know how.

If we believe or not, the proper way is saying "thank you". It's hard to pinpoint what is right even with proof. There are other beings "animals" which believe in an after life as well. We are all unique!if the big bang was made then were dis that one particle come from?it only brings more questions.

Just say Thank You! it's their rite and no offense... all good intensions..

Just ignore it and insincerely say Thanks. If you think about it at all, it will just make you frustrated.

Prayer is indistinguishable from wishing. Prayer is pure, rank selfishness; nothing more. People who offer prayers only do so to selfishly obtain favorable treatment from their God, either for themselves or for those they know. In the latter case, getting favor for a third party still benefits the person offering the prayer by trying to gain relief from the frustration over the third party's situation. So, if someone says they'll pray for you, they're simply saying I'm selfish and proud of it. And, they are seeking validation for a belief system they know is bullshit at some level. Religious people have a colossal amount of cognitive dissonance, and inject their religiosity at every opportunity to fight their insecurity. It's a tragic expression of mental illness, but also, hugely arrogant and intentionally offensive, albeit at a deeply buried level.

Thanks

Essie Level 6 Jan 8, 2019

When I here I'll pray for you. I take it as. Sorry to hear about that, or It be like that sometimes. Cause people want to come off as caring but not feel obligated to help. Its just another empty saying. If someone really care. They gone make it known in there actions.

"Okay" and walk away. They're welcome to their stupidity.

Smile and move on. You only have so much energy, and the real fight is elsewhere.

Please don't, I'm not into voodoo or witchcraft.

Just don’t say or write “thoughts and prayers” or my head will explode on sight. I think a simple thank you is sufficient. Whether they’re condescending or not shouldn’t matter. We’re the ones with a better grasp of reality, right?

That would depend on how well I knew them. Family or friends regardless if they know my own disbelief I'll just be like ok, sure. If it's a stranger who maybe I bumped into with a shopping cart and I'm feeling frisky and may reply with a smart ass remark. The majority of people who would say it actually believes that it is a good thing, hard to cut them down for it regardless of how ridiculous it seems to me.

I don't say anything. When my friend says she prayed for me, I know she was just worried about me. Bringing it up, I think, would only have started to strain our relationship.

They want you to feel the comfort and safety that comes with the belief in god. The idea that you are being protected by “greater forces” . It’s a false sense of security, but it’s security they value and by saying that, they want you to know that they value you.

Put your faith to work. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or a food pantry. Give a job to someone down and out. You can't help someone's condition with prayer.

Preach!!! Lmao

I always tell people that it won’t do any good.

I think it's out of genuine kindness most of the time and I just say thank you. It's honestly not worth getting into it with anyone. If they want to believe in magic beings that will make things better then ok.
They're all kind of like little kids that refuse to believe that Santa is not real.

SheRa Level 3 Jan 4, 2019

Good point

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253878
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.