Agnostic.com

12 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A funny guy.
His humour fits the insanity we have to deal with daily.

Let's bring back midget bowling!

'cause HAHAHA!

Why aint's I allowed to say RETARD anymore?

I really liked midget bowling with my sistermomywife.

MAGA

I miss racist comedy.

[]

You think mocking children that saw their friends insides blown out is...funny?

I don't want to ban anything.

But he is obviously going to the MAGA crowd.

If Bill Hicks were still alive today, he's be pissing off EVERYONE!
I miss Bill Hicks.
Like, A LOT!!!!

I used to really like him. His humor was relatable and offered some interesting perspective on life, but maybe the pain he's drawn to his personal life has derailed/overwhelmed his career.

It was just basic human stuff.

The first bit I ever heard was him talking about his dog eating chocolate and trying to gag it and running with it to the vet and he saved the dog's life and the dog hated him after.

I rarely take an attitude that anybody shouldn't say this or that, although I am not usually hesitant to say that someone is an asshole or a jerk for saying something offensive. His comments were offensive and insensitive, and although they don't really have a great relevance to me personally, I can understand why many people might find them very offensive. And perhaps comedians really shouldn't make remarks or observations that deeply hurt or offend large numbers of people, especially when such people have suffered deep pain or considerable discrimination or bigotry.

I like comedy that punches up at the power structure.

Mocking people that have already been horribly wounded is the at of a cowardly bully.

I think he is trying to realign his career to the mindset of the Trump humping MAGA-hat crowd.

Who have already demonstrated that they don't care about unwanted sexual behavior.

What a mean, bigoted jerk. Never liked him.

I love controversial comedians like George Carlin, Bill Burr, Corey Holcomb, Louis C.K., etc. who are not afraid to speak their mind, even if what they say is in direct conflict with what I believe. Uncontroversial comedy is boring to me, and let's be honest, most of the time they're being controversial just to stir shit up. I seriously don't think, for example, George Carlin really meant it when he said "If you wanna piss off a feminist just call her a cum-catcher", he just said that for the sake of comedy. I laughed my ass off at this line from the article above:

The comedian also said of LBGTQ teens, “They tell you what to call them – ‘You should address me as they, them, because I identify as gender neutral.’ Oh okay, okay. ‘You should address me as there, because I identify as a location, and the location is your mother’s cunt.'”

I don't think stuff like that should be taken at face value.

I think if Bill Burr made the same jokes nobody would be up in arms but Louis is under the microscope with one or two strikes against him.

@Unimatrix907 Right on! I think this is more to do with who said it than what was said. Comedy is all about context. You can even joke about rape (as George Carlin, Jim Jefferies and others have done it) without being a rape apologist. I've heard far more "offensive" jokes, without anyone batting an eye. Jimmy Carr once said: “If only Africa had more mosquito nets, then every year we could have saved millions of mosquitoes dying needlessly of AIDS.” Did he actually mean that? Of course not! I think Jim Jefferies explains the whole thing brilliantly in the following clip:

So...Your mother would like being called a cum catcher?

George Carlin threw in lines like that every now and then.

But he mostly targeted the powerful religious and politically and economically powerful.

He did NOT punch down at the afflicted.

@BufftonBeotch If my mother understands comedy, she shouldn't mind being called a cum-catcher. And I certainly don't give a fuck if a comedian calls my mother that in a way that makes other people laugh.

He did target the religious and political zealots, but most of all, he didn't give any group a pass. NOTHING was beyond criticism or ridicule to Carlin. That's how comedy worked for him. He hated the politically correct culture just as right-wing conservatism.

"Everything’s been sanitized now and cleaned up. First with these fucking Christians. Let's just start with them. You know. I’m so, wait a minute now. Yeah, you know. Let’s not leave out these PC campus liberal assholes. I mean they’re just as fucking bad from a different direction."

@Darius77 Part of my point was that your mother obviously wasn't a feminist.

Carlin could have used that term with any female.

He played with language and how some words were taboo and others not in saying the same thing.

@BufftonBeotch I think you're reading too much into comedy. When Carlin talks about "feminists" in the example above, he's basically using the symbol of feminine power in conjunction with something that many would consider degrading (cum-catching) to achieve a comic effect. It has nothing to do with feminists or how valid Carlin thinks feminism is. It is merely used as a "tool" to bring about laughter in the audience by showing a marked contrast between two things.

@Darius77 Isn't that what I just said?

I don't think Carlin was degrading feminists..

He really liked to play with language and that some words were considered taboo and other words saying the exact thing were Okey-doke.

@BufftonBeotch So, I don't know what the opposition is here, really. I mean if you're willing to grant that to Carlin despite what he said on the surface, shouldn't you also apply the same standards to other comedians? That not everything that comes out of their mouths reflects their actual opinion or should be taken at face value? That's all I've been arguing from the beginning.

@Darius77 You will never understand the subtle shit.

There is a difference between the mocking of the people that mock people and mocking people.

You don't understand that. Do you?

You just threw rocks at that chained dog and thought that was funny. Didn't you?

Yeah. That was funny.

You voted for The rump?

@BufftonBeotch There is no difference between the two if mocking is simply a figment of your imagination. You just don't understand what comedy is all about, simple as that.

The dog and Trump references were just childish, I'm sorry. The least you can do is not assume that everyone on this website is from the US.

@Darius77 I think he is with your trumpster crowd now and you can have him.

@BufftonBeotch Yeah yeah yeah! If only you bothered to check out my recent posts on Trump...

I used to really like him and his humor. Guess I didn't know enough about him back then. It always makes me sad when people I used to find entertaining turn out to be horrible people.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 31, 2018

I wonder what happened to him? He used to be such a smart, creative comedian.

So much for wanting his career back.

I think he still wants his career back... However, like someone else said, it seems he had decided to court the Angry Orange ? Clown supporters now.

@Dmej114 I don't know what he's doing. I wish he'd stop. He used to be funny. Now he's just sad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.