Agnostic.com

12 22

11 best hiking photos of 2018

Quote of the year:

“I can’t believe you hiked to Merritt Lake with pneumonia,” Gro said in September. Merritt Lake is a surprisingly steep, very difficult hike.

“I had one working lung,” I quipped. “I just bore down with willpower.” On the hike, I didn't understand why I felt so tired. The next day, I was diagnosed with pneumonia.

Arriving at the lake, Karen and I found a private cove and stopped for lunch.

“Go ahead,” we told Gro and Susan who wanted to climb a higher ridge. After lunch, Karen explored while I rested by the water. I was so inert, trout swam close to me in the shallows. That’s when I got this photo of a Dolly Varden trout in Merritt Lake. There's merit in stillness.

In 2018, I hiked 247 miles with 42,545 feet of elevation gain (and loss). Not bad at age 65. We started in January and ended in December on snowshoes. Thick wildfire smoke derailed hiking in July and August, the best time of the year.

Hardest hike: Fourth of July trail in a driving snowstorm with high winds. Ice pellets drilled my face. “I’m not having any fun,” I told Karen. “I am,” she replied. That shut me up. Shortly after that, I convinced Karen to turn around. Five miles with 2,500' gain. 4/17/18.

Favorite hike: Janus Lake with three women. Nearing the lake we dawdled, gorging on large, plump, mountain blueberries. Climb to a pass and descend steeply to the lake. Six and a half miles, 1,500' gain. 8/28/18.

Photos:

1. Snowshoeing Ingalls Creek trail in January.
  2. Enchantments and Mt. Stuart from Tronsen Ridge.
  3. Icicle Gorge hike with three girls I previously mentored.
  4. Mt. Stuart and Wenatchee Mountains from Teanaway Ridge.
  5. Pacific Crest Trail above Stevens Pass.
  6. Dolly Varden trout in Merritt Lake.
  7. Golden Week. Northern Larch trees are one of only two conifers in North America that drop their needles in the fall. They grow in North Central WA between 4,000 and 8,000' elevation on north-facing slopes.
  8. Wild honeysuckle.
  9. Strong wind gusts pushed me sideways on the ridge. "Take off your pack and get down," Karen said. Crawled shakily to large rocks at the edge. Leaned against the wind.
  10. Extremely rare, Tweedy's Lewesia flowers only grow in North Central Washington at certain elevations and exposures.
  11. Golden Week in October at Lake Marion or Lake Clara, 6,000'. Nobody can figure it out. See the glorious photo below. We can only post 10 photos.
LiterateHiker 9 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Happy New Year! Hope your hiking adventures in 2019 garnishes you more beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing...interesting and breathtaking...the scenery is nice, too 😉

@thinktwice

Love you, darling! You are supportive, intelligent, funny, warm and thoughtful. You warm my heart.

Nice pictures! I miss Washington sometimes, and I miss seeing the larch! I used to hike a lot more a few years back, and I need to get back into it. Here's one of me on the Medicine Bow Peak trail (at the top ~ 12,000 elev) in Wyoming.

I will stick to admiring your beautiful pictures!

@Barnie2years

Thank you so much! Did you see the photo with ice around the log below? Golden Week with Northern Larch glowing with golden needles.

Golden Week at Lake Marion or Clara, 6,000' elevation. Nobody knows which is Marion or Clara Lake. Not even on maps. October 2018.

An incredible year for you! Thanks for the stories and photos!

Awesome photos, thank you for sharing.

To bad you can only put ten pictures up at a time. I really enjoy your pictures as I have knee problems and could not get to these places myself. Thanks.

Ever had any experiences with Sasquatch?

@TimothyJ

Sasquatch are a myth.

Cougar, yes.

Beautiful

These pictures are magnificent as are you.

@ADKSparky

Aww... gee... shucks... (sound of scraping hiking boot) Thank you!

@LiterateHiker Happy New Year

Beautiful photos! It sounds like a fun activity.

Nice photography! And a beautiful place! 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Here's another favorite photo. I can only upload 10 pictures. Golden Week at Lake Marion. October.

@LiterateHiker Wow. These are all worthy of framing and hanging on the wall. Or you can sell them to jigsaw puzzle makers. Very nice. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you. I have been trying to simplify the composition of photos.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:256583
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.