Agnostic.com

13 6

LINK Half of Southerners believe the US was founded as ‘explicitly Christian,’ new poll finds

This is disturbing.

By HippieChick589
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Half of Southerners believe Colonel Sanders was an officer in the Confederate Army!

Sticks48 Level 9 Jan 2, 2019

Such fear. Add all Christians together in USA and they are still a minority.

I grew up Catholic next to a baptist preacher. His son and I were the same age and he innocently would tell me what his father preached in the hopes I would see the errors of my ways. A more bigoted, racist, "I'm morally superior to all", religion does not exist than the southern baptists.

That is due to the evangelical influence in the South. n Baptist Convention is the largest church in the south and it was formed as a breakaway sect from the larger Baptist church -- specifically to support slavery.

What is it with this part of the country? When people make these goofy kinds of claims I do see it as believing but wanting to believe.

They also think the South will "rise again" and then they'll get all their slaves back, so... Not exactly critical thinkers.

Kafirah Level 8 Jan 1, 2019

Its sad that there so many religious fools in the south. I bet there are more closeted atheists than other part of the country.

The people in the South are stupid...

slydr68 Level 8 Jan 1, 2019

The first influx of settlers were xtian, xtian nutters Europe didn't want. So I agree with the Southerners they were the founders.
However, as a nation eg constitution, the US of A is definitely founded on secular freedoms eg free to practice your religion whatever it may be.

powder Level 8 Jan 1, 2019

The settlers didn't found this country, however. They founded British colonies.

Only half? Things are improving then.

That was a ramdom poll of all Southerners. A full 75% of white evangelicals belief this.

@GinaKay That's to be expected.

I would guess that's a decline.

bingst Level 8 Jan 1, 2019

My thoughts exactly. That percentage seems awfully low... for the South.

...and the confederate battle flag is about grits and cornbread.

kmdskit3 Level 8 Jan 1, 2019

Religious and cultural values = rascism and bigotry

Byrdsfan Level 8 Jan 1, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:256812'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!