Agnostic.com

9 4

Unusual Expressions II - Cockney Rhyming Slang

Further to the original post some of you may know of Cockney rhyming slang. Some of it is traditional and some more modern in origin. Here are a few examples:

Apples & Pears = Stairs
Daisy Roots = Boots
Adam & Eve = Believe
Saucepan Lids - Kids
Trouble & Strife = Wife
Butcher's Hook = Look
Dog & Bone = Phone
Jam Jar = Car

You can also abbreviate the terms for use in conversation, for example

I got on the dog to give this geezer a bell about a new jam, he said I could have a butchers but you wouldn't adam the state of it.

Or

I phoned a gentleman about purchasing a new car. He invited me round to take a look at it but it was in poor condition.

For more details [cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk]

ipdg77 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To go in front of 'The chocolate' .... chocolate fudge = judge
Go and have a Ruby ...Ruby Murry =Curry
I,m fuckin Hank... I,m very hungry ..Hank Marvin = Starving

What the fuck looool

artful devil= level , bark and growl = trowel . trouble and strife= wife ,berkely hunt [ berk] = c--- lord lovell = shovel , up the kaibher pass = up the arse

I always like 'Commodore' meaning 15 pounds (money) - 5 pounds is a 'Lady'. Lady Godiva = fiver and so a commodore is 3 times a lady!

Brahms and Liszt = pissed,
Butcher's hook, = crook ( ill, sick or somewhat dishonest),
Joe Blake, = snake,
flat out, = working hard,
Tit for Tat ( usually said as 'Titfer'😉 = hat,
clodhoppers, = work boot/heavy shoes or big feet,
billylids, = kids,
Steak and Kidney, = Sydney (Aussie slang saying),
'Back of Bourke,' = way out in the bush, another Aussie slang saying,
Ball and Chain = wife, also an Aussie slang saying,
Aspro, = Slow working Dope, Aussie term for someone who is quite lazy or useless,
Nugget, = Aussie term for a person who is also quite lazy in that he/she just lays around and does nothing,
Rattler, = any train or very old car/bus, etc,
Crows, = Nuns or Priests especially Catholic ones,
Dry as a Dead Nuns' Fanny, = thirsty or it hasn't rained for a very long time,
Dry as a Pommies bath towel, = same meaning as above,
2 loaves short of a sandwich, = someone who is obviously pretty dumb/stupid,
thick as 2 short planks, = same as above,
Just a few Aussie slang sayings added here for anyone to use.

In Australia it was Billy lids = kids, then of course there is Plates of meat = feet.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

[genius.com] These Lyrics crack me up!

My dogs are Barking! love that one.
Pen and Ink! ..You stink.
Your avin a bubble bath....Laugh
Oily rag....Fag ermm in English that means a cigarette lol
Love rhyming slang.

Many moons ago I had an American guy in fits when I told him 'bumming a fag' was actually about scrounging a cigarette 🙂

Thanks for the link. Are Cockneys an endangered species or are they now extinct?

Probably endangered, the definition would still apply, born within the sound of Bow Bells, but as a cultural thing it's very different to when my mum grew up in the east end of London, Areas change, population is more mobile and diverse etc

@ipdg77 Yes. I have not read of a Procession by Pearly Kings and Queens for years. Read about the Notting Hill Carnival every year.

They still exist ask any Sherbet Dab drivers in London!

@Treasurehunter The current Pearly King & Queen do turn up at various events but it doesn't carry the same interest as in years gone by. The Notting Hill Carnival seems to get bigger every year, the last I heard it was the biggest carnival in the world outside Rio but there must be many cities that would dispute this.

@Tiffanny A sherbet is also an alcoholic drink, as in 'going out for a sherbet',

We're still Annie ( Annie May Wong ) =strong

@ipdg77 Peckham , me ..Del boy country

We used to fink that Cockneys were posh .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.