Agnostic.com

43 4

How do you feel about profanity in music?

What do you think about profanity in music? Does it bother you? Do you like it?

• 23 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 62 votes
  • 16 votes
silvereyes 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't care for profanity ANYWHERE.
ETA: I use some profanity myself on occasion but only when I am by myself.

I feel about profanity in music much as I do in comedy: it should enhance, not be a substitution for talent.

Totally agree. I do the same in writing. It humanizes the characters when the profanity is more like real life. To much and the readers won’t waste their time.

@ChrisJones I would think it would be more difficult to get past in writing too cuz prolly most people don't read as fast as a lot of people sing.

it should be in context in life too

When the artist is good, I don't give a fuck what they say.

Art is often a reflection of reality, much of reality is profane...

It doesn't matter to me either way. It's someone else's expression. They're entitled to say whatever they damned well please. That said, I also have the right to listen to it, or not.

I love a lot of foul-mouthed artists.

Art imitates life. Some stories are profane. I'm ok with it in any genre with no limits as long as it's constructive to the story.

^^Fuckin' A! This

It all depends on context. Profanity for the sake of shock value or ratings is annoying. Profanity to drive home a point is another thing altogether.

In my opinion, sometimes it adds to the song and sometimes it diminishes it. It depends on the song

I am a sailor, I like to sing sailor songs. Nuff said.

Ok in small doses.
I don't see a reason for any song to have gratuitous profanity in it.

It depends on context and how it is used. If it's used to degrade people, then I'm against it. If it fits the song, it doesn't bother me.

Sadoi Level 7 Feb 18, 2018

Sometimes these rappers just use profanity when it is not needed. I say a real artist needs to be clever with his lyrics. Be dirty without being profane. ZzTop and Prince were good at that.

Exactly. I don't advocate for censorship, and some profanity enhances (depending on context), but too often it's the easy way forward. It's lazy. I prefer more creative expression.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but in mixed company, or at work, it can be awkward. I love Alternative music and that's what I listen to at work (I'm an XM subscriber and have a small XM radio connected to my PC at work and use the external speakers it has). I have to be mindful of what song is playing and turn it down so low others can't hear it at all when an "objectionable" song plays. I keep the volume pretty low anyway because not everyone has my taste in music. LOL!

Context is what matters to me here. There's a difference between crass and earthy. You can usually tell how gratuitous the profanity is by the quality of the balance of the lyrics. There's also the matter of expectations from the likes of Dayglo Abortions vs. Cab Calloway.

Care to enlighten me on who those are?

Mahler's 1st Symphony has none, so I'm good.

I don't care so long is has proper emphasis and usage. I mean, yeah it can get tiresome and bad if the song it littered with it for the sake of having profane language. I'm not gonna get upset though if the odd F-bomb or something is dropped to make some impact.

If a song consists of every other word being either an expletive or profanity it would seem to me the the artist/songwriter is lacking in the creative side of things. Voltaire said: "anything too stupid to be said is sung."

I liked it before i read the quote and noe i can't seem to unlike it...but i suppose thats a little silly when i strongly agree with the rest of what you said xP

Fuck I don't care

I don't mind a little "Baby got back," or "Shake that ass for me..." One of my favorite songs is Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang, which is about as profane as it gets.But the rest of their songs seem to be profanity for profanity sake.

@silvereyes Yaaass girl yaas....................................................
please kill me for saying that rofl

It is very telling that the album How the Gods Kill has no profanity, yet a PMRC sticker on it.

I just realized i kind of want a like...bookmark type of button on comments. Posts
/polls wouldnt hurt either. And of course there always copy amd paste, but im too tired/lazy to even really want to do that right now xD
Would be a nice way to see comments around it too, for those that get so many like this one

It's just words. There are contexts and words for those contexts that can be truly dangerous. Profanity in songs is not such. "Free Nelson Mandela" was a dangerous song. It contains no profanity. "You Can't Say Crap on the Radio", despite the profanity, was not.

I prefer to listen to the explicit cut because that’s always the original version.

I don't think much of it either way. Profanity doesn't bother me in conversation or music. I don't find profane lyrics offensive at all. What offends me is racism and misogyny. I also hate the ridiculous religious crap in some crap that passes for music.

JimG Level 8 Feb 18, 2018

Usually I find profanity in music lyrics a turn off, especially when it seems to be a substitute for real content. That having been said, there are multiple instances where expletives can be used to express powerful artistic sentiments that family-friendly language couldn't touch. As an example, Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" would lose tremendous emotional appeal if she toned down the line, "Are you thinking of me when you fuck her?" And could you imagine Steppenwolf singing, "Gol dang that pusher man!" I'm no fan of the gratuitous potty mouth, but there are times when expletives work when nothing else will do.

god damn does not count as an expletive . f--- and c--- do maybe even sh--

@markdevenish well, to many religious folks.........

It depends on the song. Fucking up by Neil Young would be a completely different song. On the serious side, I've listened to some of the most offensive music that never used any profanity, just religious propaganda.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.