Agnostic.com

9 3

QUESTION In a recent post I mentioned to watch the religious zealots blame the shootings on a lack of prayer in schools..

I had hoped that someday there would be a tipping point for the rabid gun mentality. It seems it has started. I have started seeing items as: ”Anti-gun protests held as more is learned about accused killer” and: [nytimes.com]

Also, yesterday on an NPR interview with a Florida republican congressman it was stated that no sterile person should ever be a victim of gun violence. By “sterile” he meant defenseless. He stated any would-be shooter should know he will face opposition (meaning we need to arm every man, woman and child).

JackPedigo 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here is a sample of several New gun laws up for hearings in the state of Florida. (Information from League of Women Voters) If you think the guns laws are insanely out of control, you are right , and thanks to the NRA this is going on every day in every state government and in the Federal government:

Posted on January 24, 2018
HB 219 And SB 196
Senate and House companion bills propose to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines. The legislature has refused to place them on the agenda for a discussion in either chamber. Similar bills with similar fates have been introduced in the last years.
*Legislative leadership refuses to allow the bills to be heard.

A provision in Senate Bill 740 requested by Florida’s Agriculture Commissioner would allow Concealed Carry Permits to be issues without a completed background check.
Don’t Cut Corners on Background Checks. Carrying a firearm in public is a serious responsibility, and there should be no exceptions to requiring a complete background check.
Posted on February 9, 2018

HB 1419 by Lawrence McClure 🌈 This bill (the companion to SB 1048) : would allow churches, synagogues, and other religious institutions to authorize concealed license holders to take their firearms onto their properties. This also means that the designated carrier could take their concealed weapons into schools if the religious institution owns, rents, leases, or borrows the property.

SB 1048 by Dennis Baxley 🌈 is back after being tabled last week in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The bill will be heard in that same committee on Thursday, Jan. 25th at 10:00 A.M. EDT. This bill, in a different form, was voted down in December. Yet Chairman Greg Steube continues to place it on the agenda.
Let’s resoundingly tell the members of both of these committees to vote NO on HB 1419 and SB 1048!

SB 1048 is a different version of the same idea we saw die a hard death in a December. Now it’s back in disguise!

Recent polls have shown that the majority of Floridians oppose campus and open carry. It’s high time these elected officials stop wasting our time on bills that have been repeatedly rejected. It’s past time these “guns everywhere” legislators start listening to Floridians who want common sense gun laws instead of continuing to agenda bills that are even more radically irresponsible! Call the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and request that they vote NO on SB 1242 and SB 1048!

SB 1242 by Greg Steube 🌈: This bill would allow permitless open carry during a wide number of recreational activities, from picnicking to bird watching to dog walking. Current Florida law requires a concealed weapons permit for carrying a firearm. SB 1242 would allow people to openly carry firearms, including assault weapons, without undergoing the training class or federal background check required to receive a permit.

Floridians have said NO to Open Carry bills before. Why is our Legislature not getting the message? Indeed, three gun bills died in Sen. Steube’s committee this past December. Yet Sen. Steube has now placed SB 1242 — the most radical gun bill we’ve ever seen in Florida — on his agenda.

Please contact me for further information / ACTIONS to contact lawmakers by phone, email & postcards.

In my honest opinion, those are nothing more than fake Band-Aid solutions to be applied to very wide open, gaping, suppurating, pus filled wound of almost 'biblical' proportions.

As more guns are allowed watch the death rates explode. We are diametrically opposite of you in a lot of ways. The gun issue is heating up here and the Democrats now have a slim lead in both houses. Today's paper had 2 articles about the anger at the legislature failure to take action on even simple things. For instance one must be 21 to buy a hand gun but can but can get a semi-automatic rifle at 18! I have supported and donated to 2 groups Alliance for gun responsibility and the Coalition to stop gun violence for years. A recent win was to take away guns from people in domestic violence situations.

I mentioned the Floridian who talked about "sterile" people. What these people don't seem to get into their pea brains is that having a gun does not make one invincible. It often makes one a target. Several years ago we had 4 Seattle Police get killed while they were eating lunch.

Thank you for your work on this. We need more like you and this encourages me.

Sooooo what was the reason when the church shooting in Texas happened?? I mean, they were ACTUALLY praying for Pete's sake?

As vindictive as it may be, I almost think it will take nothing short of a few of these politicians becoming victims themselves before serious action could hope to be done. I have little sympathy for these obstructionists at this point, and it feels like either a few of them, or some of their own kin need to experience the horror for themselves before they can change.

Of course I don't WANT people to die, it's a horrible way of looking at the whole situation. But some of these scumbags might think twice when they are brought down to this level.

Already happened - 2017 Congressional baseball shooting [en.wikipedia.org] Haven't seen a lot of change since then though.

The 'United' States of American = a nation born out of conflict, thrives upon creating/ getting involved in conflict, one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Arms Manufactures in the World, is it any wonder they have such an almost religious adoration for firearms and weaponry?
It is absolutely abhorrent that they cannot encompass the idea that it is NOT guns that kill, it IS people who use guns to KILL that are the problem and as such they are slowly but surely designing, not only their own demise, but the demise of the Human Race as well.

Yes. This.

The NRA sellouts in Congress, from both parties, need to be voted out this November! I've had more than enough of the Thoughts & Prayers cabal.

The insanity just seems to gather steam...this could be a tipping point though! Those students seem to have clarity and purpose! I will surely support their efforts!

Their idiocy knows no bounds.

... and thus we have President Trump.

@godef He talks a lot about Hilary not allowing guns at her rallies I wonder how many armed people are at his?

They have to blame it on something since they have no intention of doing anything about it.

So it is up to the saner elements to take action. I am not through with this subject yet. I have been at it for 25+ years and finally see some real action.

@JackPedigo Join my group Gun Control Now and you will see some action. I'm working with gofundme right now for donations to buy up assault weapons.

@MikeFlora I am already a member of Coalition to stop gun violence and the Alliance for gun Responsibility. Wash. state now has a majority in both houses and gun control legislation is one of the top priorities.

@MikeFlora Why are you buying up assault weapons? I thought you were opposed to gun violence. Buying guns just makes the gun manufacturers & the NRA richer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.