Agnostic.com

9 4

What Exactly Does Trump's Obsession with "Winning" Say About Him?

In the midst of the government shutdown, once again we see Donald Trump determined to win a showdown that he himself set up. He has agreed to compromises, then reneged because they didn't result in "winning". We've seen this behavior countless times already; trade confrontations, diplomatic crises, the list is too long to go through. Trump insists that he must be the "winner". What does this say about his personality? What kind of person is Trump?

Oddly enough, I came across this analysis in a forum on the Dungeons and Dragons game, and it fits Trump to a T.

"Good characters see the world as an optimization problem, where the best result is things getting better for people in general.

Evil people see the world as a contest, where the best result is things getting better for them, or if they are socially-minded evil people, for their group.

This means that in general, good people believe in justice -- that things should be fair even if that fairness hurts them personally, because the fairness overall makes things better for everyone, and in particular compensates harms people take that wasn't deserved.

Evil people don't care about it; they care about personal vengeance--getting even (or better) for slights against them, but if someone doesn't get justice from them? Good; they win."

Maybe "evil" is a bit strong to apply to a real live person, rather than a fictional character; but Trump is certainly not concerned with justice for anyone but himself. He's obsessed with retribution for slights, real or perceived; and it's well-documented that all he cares about is "winning" the current confrontation, regardless of the long-term consequences. Trump sees the world as a zero-sum game, and if you're not a winner, you're a loser. The only thing that matters is winning at all costs.

There's no room in that worldview for justice, fairness, or compassion.

Paul4747 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It says that Trump is a loser with an inferiority complex, and with a need for confirmation of greatness that is not -- and will never be-- his. He is and will always be totally self-absorbed.

He has a tiny dick....period.

Vince Lombardi quote comes to mind:
" Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

So, reduce everything in life to a football metaphor?

@Paul4747 It worked for Lombardi.

"Game theory is used by the London School of Economics and by the Harvard Business School and in other fields. It is the most widely used model/metaphor for human behavior but it seems the least understood. It is generally believed that games are won by superior tact, skill and ability, however, this is only true in very limited circumstances, viz, I step in the ring with Mike Tyson, I think that the outcome can easily be predicted.

All games have deliberately skewed odds that favor a winning outcome as in the best of 3, 5 or 7 sets in a game. When you get two players of equal years or practice, skill and ability and you change the odds to the best of 4, 6 or 8 sets in a game a different outcome emerges, a drawn game.

The only way that you can win in any game or game like situation is by taking advantage of the other person's mistakes or inducing a mistake(s) that give you an advantage this holds true despite all the spurious claims made by winners and those who support them" Arnold Arnold

I realize that human nature is to approach life as a game scenario. However, the tendency to see everything as a game is also detrimental when everything is reduced to an adolescent level of "winners" and "losers". For instance, foreign policy is not a game-like situation; there are far too many lives at stake to treat it as such.

@Paul4747 I wonder is it merely a tendency of human nature to approach life as a game scenario and not a from of conditioning that begins in childhood, progressively refined as we pass through the educational system into adulthood where it continues. Life is certainly not a game when it comes to consequences.

Sounds about right.

Carin Level 8 Jan 8, 2019

I'm getting tired of persons relenting his character which is beyond reproach or editorial responses that only feed his demented personality. I can always remember the famous quote from the movie 'Forest Gump' "Stupid is as Stupid Does" He fits it without definition.

He doesn't know how to spell whining.

Think he and Charlie Sheen are watching the same cartoons.

I was going to say it was an insecurity based on having the world's smallest, weirdest shaped dick — but your explanation works too.

So, you have seen his "dick" but not his tax return?

@jlynn37 we all have! His dick us that weird orange-covered thing on his head. Ther is now hope for the tax returns, however

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.