Agnostic.com

38 11

Do you like a challenge in life or an easy life?

Sure, I like to have good luck in life. Everyone does, but sometime I feel like if everything is too perfect all the time, there’s no challenge for me to actually mold me into a stronger and better person. Always having no challenges in life just seems like it’d be too easy and I’d never grow from any real experience. What do you guys think? I hope I don’t sound like some kind of masochist or anything, but this is a question I’ve been wanting to ask for a while now.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How fortunate for you to have such a dilemma.

As an artistic individual, I look for challenges. I look at a piece of ground, and challenge myself to make it into a flower garden. I listen to a song, and challenge myself to learn to play it. I see a challenging theatrical role, and audition for it. Creativity requires a challenge.

I don't like challenges, but I need them. Otherwise I can become too complacent. Growth and change has only come in my life when I was faced with a challenge. But it also depends on the challenge: some are not worth it, some need to be broken down into smaller challenges, and the hardest are none of my choosing, like being sick this past year - though this one changed me the most.

I think you're posing it as a false dilemma. It's not a question of either having challenges or having it easy. The separate question of "having it easy" doesn't necessarily imply indolence and sloth -- nor does keeping busy with "challenges" imply industry and resourcefulness.

It's a question of whether you get to choose the challenges you want to tackle, and whether they are actual constructive challenges or tragedies / losses.

We are so inured to suffering that I think we conflate all these things.

As I embark on my work day this morning I have a number of challenges, all of which are interesting and positive and at least indirectly chosen by virtue of my having accepted work from my client. I am unlikely to retire unless forced to, because these are the challenges I've chosen. The things that would force me to retire could be unchosen "challenges" such as my mind or body failing me.

Challenge is relative and contextual. The various personal tragedies I've endured have taught me coping skills, but those have obliged me to expend a lot of energy and give up a lot of personal goals and this, like all suffering, has diminished me. Also, those coping skills are useful only in a world of suffering where I can expect more suffering, and their purpose is not to elevate me, but to prevent me from collapsing entirely.

So I think we need to distinguish between chosen, enriching challenges, and unchosen, diminishing challenges. The latter I believe we need to regard as unacceptable and work in every way we know how, to reduce or eliminate them. The former we can enjoy at our leisure.

When people ask me what is the meaning of life........My answer: To overcome the challenges of life and keep learning.
For me challenges bring out the best. Not always instantly, I have my fair share of reaction and denial, however once I finally stop procrastinating I usually do overcome.
An easy life although mentally seems appealing, in reality I find it rapidly becomes tedious and I lose the will to live.

Khmm Level 5 Feb 19, 2018

Positive challenges are always welcome. Negative challenges crop up, but finding to positive benefit in overcoming them helps in meeting and beating them. We grow as we chose, and we grow as we have to.

I love challenges, and love easy, the things that challenge me are my spatial ignorance, I don't seem able to turn things around in my head and it takes me pushing my brain and making tons of drawings in order to get to grips with a sculptural piece and I drive my partner mad asking him how? how can I make this mobile work when it just can't , and he can see why it can't & I can't see why it cant, even when he tries to explain because me head doesn't do spatial awareness even though I am a fair potter and into raku - I don't know anyone who has ever been able to help me solve the problem of my head not being tuned in but my hands are .

Easy can be like a cancer to one looking to grow from making and performing well in unique challenges. I enjoy being questioned and underestimated and then blowing minds and at times amazing my self!! That Builds pride and confidence!! Simple keeps you stupid and untrained!!

I'd be happy to try easy life. So far it's been mostly a challenge. Well, really more like one crazy ass thing after another. Basically I just roll with it, it's what I've got.

My life has been a series of challenges and in between challenges I tend to get bored and lean toward depression. Keep me busy and active dealing with stuff, and you keep me alive.

Take care of yourself. get into positive/negative meditations. Blow that negative energy out of those chakras. If you find a way to deal with negativity, life goes better, no matter how tuff. You will remain strong and at peace.

easy life as I am lazy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26229
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.