Agnostic.com

12 7

How's meetup.com?

I plan on finally using it to find more secular folks. Living in a super religious town means if you show your true colors everyone thinks you're the spawn of satan 😀. It also is like you instantly become a second class citizen. Despite all of this, I saw few nearby groups w/humanists or atheists. Seems like I need more of them in my life. The only other atheists for sure that I know I have met in my life is my own brother and his girl friend. Pretty sad, I know.

AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I too am interested in a secular/atheist meet-up. I live in Casa Grande Arizona, where I know not a single atheist.

MeetUp is great in the Atlanta area. It's very easy to find secular groups for just about any sort of interest or pursuit. I lived in Omaha for a short time in 2016, though, and things were sparse there.

I plan to move to Lexington, KY, asap, and just now googled several Lexington atheist groups and meet-ups. But few people there are religious, or they attend highly liberal churches, so most people I meet at ballroom dances, operas, ballets, etc., will likely be agnostics or atheists.

I don't like meet.com because it doesn't show you other atheists near by. It is hard to meet like minded people and make real human connections. I don't know any other atheists either.

I found the local humanist and atheist groups via meetup but not only do I have to take a bit of a drive for the meetings, they are full of retired people that are significantly older than me. For the most part they are retired educators and academics but most of them do not seem to like social media or modern technology.

Quite a few of the male members are a product of their upbringing and treat women with a lack of respect- particularly unmarried ones. They will talk over a woman even to the point of raising their voice to drown her out. In one instance at the atheist meeting, a man looked at me and said something along the lines "am I right?" and when I started to say that the way he spoke to her was unfair, he immediately did it to me as well.

I have not been back to a meeting since and do not even pay dues for the atheist meetup because I will not go back. Many of those members are also in the humanist group but behave better because it is a larger group

So meetup has not worked for me in this little backward town I live in

I am a member of several Meetup groups. It is a good vehicle for meeting people with whom I have common interests. Of course, it's better in an area with more than, say, 20,000 people. There's more variety.

I have nut used meetup.com to fidn other atheists, although there are several of those types of groups in my area. I've mostly have used meetup.com to find other hiking enthusiasts. There is also a local craft beer group that visits local craft breries. You can find people of almost any interest.

I joined a freethought group that used meetup.com and it's great. I go to a discussion group and craft beer things every other week. It's fun!

jeffy Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

It's good, you should look into groups there. The nearest atheist group to me is an hour away, and I went to several get togethers. I never really quite fit in, and there was one person there who was a real ass. So I got turned off that particular group. I haven't started my own group because I really want to keep my non-belief low key in this community.

I have no idea, but you look like my friend Nick's doppelganger in your profile picture.

Meetup.com is a great site = Many groups have a solid presence there. And if you're weird in one specific area, they probably even have a group of similar weirdos for you to have fellowship with 🙂

Check out your local Humanists group, they're wonderful. You will find other non believers that way. Hang in there, you're not alone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.