Agnostic.com

17 3

What is an internet troll? Lots of you have accaused me of trolling. Well, you might be sorry to hear that trolling is defined as the act of purposeful disruption of a conversation with comments unrelated to the subject being discussed or intentionally offensive comments for the purposes of annoying or belittling a person without provocation.
Engaging in an open forum to espose a personal belief in order to contribute to the conversation is not trolling. Just because you may find my position offensive does not mean that I am a troll. It means you are immature and unwilling to learn the opposition's stance. That greatly cripples your ability to argue effectively and makes you the troll.

jayneonacobb 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes, when people "argue" in a way that makes no sense at all, ignores evidence and is completely immune to logic, only two options remain: either they lack the intellectual capability or they deliberately and purposefully continue in order to disrupt the conversation. Hard to tell sometimes which it is.
One can see that a lot with discussions that involve either religion or gun ownership, but it also happens on the topics of anti-vaxxing, chem-trails or the flat earth.

Abrasive is the word I would use. But I defend your right to be who you are, opinions be damned.

I'm fine with being "abrasive" hitch was too.

I don't agree that you are a troll. But, I am baffled at the way you are so quick to label other people? Your antenna is pointed out catching everything that flys by! But, what I keep wondering is...what is in your heart and are you the person that you want to be? You seem to be struggling with different parts of your nature! The one part that you deny and the other that you approve of?

Troll: "A person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting civil, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement."

I don't have enough experience with you to know if you do this or not, so if the shoe fits ... wear it; if not, don't.

I don't have a problem with people expressing opinions I disagree with, though I completely lack respect for certain ideological positions, particularly when espoused in a knee-jerk, fact free manner, that involve conspiracy theories, religious or political dogma without supporting facts, and strident otherizing, "for me or against me" mentality.

But I don't block such people, I either engage with them or ignore them depending on whether the resulting discourse seems like it might be useful to others. The only people I block, historically, are people who can't be bothered to write coherent sentences, who are particularly dishonest tactically, or who really DO, per the above definition, write strictly to get a rise out of people, and who thus lack respect for others.

I haven't blocked anyone here yet, and I probably have a half dozen blocked on other sites that I've spent much time on.

When I grow weary of the same ol' same ol', I take a chill pill and step back from participation for awhile.

Trolling is when a comment or post is so ridiculous that it's obvious that the commenter only wants a reply and a reaction - instead of adding something meaningful (to the yay or nay) to the discussion.

Flamers are commenters who add to the toxicity of a discussion - without adding new ideas to the discussion.

Haters are commenters who do not commit to the logic presented in the discussion with a simple "nope, not buying it, you're never gonna change my mind" type of comments.

Trolls and flamers are annoying. Never feed them.

Haters, however, are simply voicing their opinions - regardless of how stupid they are. That's cool. By the way, I'm simply trolling with "regardless of stupid they are". 😛

definitely you have your preferred ways of being and yes you are almost alone on this site but you simply represent a view point that is counter to the prevailing winds [ of this site]

Isn't that why we are here? To be free thinkers? 😉

There are trolls and there are assholes. Oh, wait. I'm being redundant.

Questioning ideas is very important. I don't mind a little patronising. I mean it is not something that I would do myself, but when you do it it I think its adorable

I like your sentiment, but I could go without the jab.

"...and you demean. Yet again. With the hope of relevance.

See, that is trolling^^^

@jayneonacobb A quote from your thread: "It means that you are immature, and unwilling to learn the opposition's stance." That is also trolling.

@Jack-of-scythes no, it's not as I was responding constructively and critically. You just criticize, obstructively.

I sometimes call myself a troll, especially when I am baiting Christians on other pages and others in the thread realize what I am doing.

Well, that is trolling. I try to avoid it, but it can be fun, I get that.

Let’s see...

Half of your arguments are over semantics.. you repeatedly name-call any opposition.. you talk down to everyone. It really just seems like you’re arguing just to prove you can argue.

Marz Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

Bull crap. You're an idiot. Everybody knows guns kill squirrels, squirrels don't kill guns. TROLL THIS, mofo. LOL.... but then you've probably heard this before.

Lol, that was actually funny.

I don't know what interactions you have had with others, but in my interactions with you I haven't thought you were a troll. You did veer off the subject a bit, but the comments were still "in the ballpark" at least. You also seem to have a win-lose attitude when you said you "wrecked me" in the conversation. You are entitled to your opinions. You haven't been trollish yet I don't think lol

I'll not argue your opinion of me as it is pointless. Thank you for not calling me a troll. I appreciate that.

@jayneonacobb Lol It's fun having a good debate. As long as we don't curse each other out etc. We all have our opinions. I don't hate conservatives or anything like that. I would rather we all compromise and live in peace.

@jayneonacobb To me, you seem like any other alt-right troll I came to this website to escape. I just try to avoid you.

@birdingnut The alt-right is a whole other ball game. i don't have much respect for them.

I've read a few if your posts and comments not s much a troll just come across as a bit if a dick sometimes

Yeah, I can be if someone else is a dick.

@jayneonacobb is this your life plan...'tit for tat?'

@Freedompath - Maybe he wants and "eye for an eye" - dubious origins...

@GoldenDoll maybe this is where some of the problem lies. He has not moved far enough out of his Bible study. Like, stuck on the fence...

Good show sir, I support this.

If the liberals don’t agree with us onservatives they just condemn us as trolls, censor our remarks and block us as they don’t want to hear anything but they’re side.

If I want labels and vitriol like that, I can go to Facebook. Sheesh. I come here for open-minded discussion. Yes, I'm a progressive voter, but name calling belongs elsewhere.

@poetdi56 you poet !

@Poetdi56 Yes I agree there should not be name calling but the liberals just keep doing it.

Are you seriously suggesting this isn't a thing that all sorts of humans do to each other, including that conservatives do to liberals?

I might disagree with some of your posts but isn't discussion and opinion what a forum is about? Keep doing your stuff man 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.