Agnostic.com

5 6

LINK Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Election Day to Become a Holiday | Fortune

Drop Columbus Day and take Election Day off instead.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 11

Post a comment Author often replies/likes Reply Author often replies/likes Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Election day is a holiday in most European countries.

Works for me.

As is, the people who have the most difficulty getting to the polls are the poor, the working poor, and the working class. They are also those most likely to work jobs (or multiple jobs) that do not make it easy to get to the polls. And often the polling places in their neighborhoods suffer from long lines and are in inconvenient locations. A national holiday for election day would be both a patriotic display of the VALUE and VIRTUE in exercising our right to choose our leaders AND a practical leg up to those who have disadvantages due to economic status. The rich would fight this because they want their wage-slaves to produce continuously and because they have already purchased their candidates so their individual vote is less consequential to the outcome.

Keep it the way it is.

Just curious, why?

@HippieChick58 We would be rewarding people who don't deserve praise. Election day could be renamed, National Liar Day.

@freedom41 The purpose of making Election day a holiday is to allow people more time to vote or at least remove that excuse that they couldn't vote because they were at work. I am all for whatever makes voting easier for all.

@HippieChick58 Ok. Why switch it and just add it to the national holiday list.

@freedom41 That would work for me, but I think many employers would balk at adding another holiday to the calendar.

@HippieChick58 It doesn't have to be an paid holiday.

Please..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:263549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.