Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK Famous songs that are covers - youtube

How do you feel about covers?

About 6 or 7 of these songs, I didn't even know were covers, but I'm not a music aficionado either. Not all covers are better than the original, but of course many are. Then a couple sound almost identical to the original. I have heard people complain that artists should be original but I think covering someone else's song is fine, however, I do like to see an artist's personal take on the song so it doesn't sound exactly like the original.

So how many of these do you recognize as covers and what is your opinion on artists doing covers?

BeeHappy 9 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At karaoke every performance is a cover version. Maybe that's why so many people hate it. I enjoy singing karaoke and have done so for 30 years, but a lot of the singers and song choices (esp.) bore me. That's why I've become very picky about what shows I attend. I'm a karaoke and music snob and proud of it!

Whatcha got against karaoke Tom? ?

@BeeHappy See my edited comment above....

@TomMcGiverin LOL, good for you! I've only been to karaoke a couple of times, so I will have to take your word for it. I was attempting to be humorous, so I hope I didn't offend your snobbish tendencies. ?

@BeeHappy Not at all. I suspect I have more company in my snobbishness at the karaoke shows, but people in my area are too polite and afraid of conflict to be honest about it like me. But lots of them admit it to me privately. It's a Midwest thing called enforced politeness. I try to ignore the bad singers and bad song choices, like country, but I never heckle others and have actually confronted others in the audience when they have done that. I find that totally unacceptable and, like Hannibal Lecter in Silence Of The Lambs, " I despise rudeness", just not as violently as him, lol!

@TomMcGiverin Good to know...would hate to lose one of our members to karaoke violence! ?

@BeeHappy You laugh, but that is a serious problem, or has been, in Asia with karaoke shows. People will get stabbed, shot or even murdered for singing a song someone doesn't like or doing a poor job on a song, like some Sinatra song, that a member of the audience feels passionate about. Makes me feel less guilty and much more tolerant in comparison...........

@TomMcGiverin OMG! That's terrible. I knew there were many in Asia that enjoyed karaoke but didn't realize it was so serious. Wow... crazy.

@BeeHappy Just do a Google search of Karaoke violence and you'll see lots of video clips of it. People who love karaoke, a little tooo much...

@TomMcGiverin Thanks Tom!

I like covers ok but I prefer if bands give their own flavor.

Definitely!

For a creepy cover (and I love both guys' work) check out Johnny Cash doing Bruce Springsteen's I'm on Fire.

I just looked it up... OMG! Creepy it is! ?

The 60's and 70's are replete with covers. The Parton / Houston song (One of, if not her biggest hit) was chosen by Kevin Costner. They became very good friends, which explains why he gave a eulogy at her funeral.

I've just recently stopped going out weekends to a bar close to my place. They usually have live music with local bands. The ones playing 80's covers were always the ones bringing the house down. I had great time sometimes. I like covers a lot !!!

Lol. When you said 80's covers, I thought geez that wasn't so long ago but jesus christ that is quickly approaching 40 years ago!! OMG! I don't know whether to laugh or cry! ??

@BeeHappy well it is what it is......I know it feels like yesterday but.... All we have to do is look at all our favorite stars from the 80s, some are already gone. Life is a hell of a ride, sadly too short regardless how long it may be.

@IamNobody Ain't that the truth!

KD Lang managed to make Roy Orbison's signature song into her signature song.

She certainly did!

Later, Roy sang the song with here. It, too, can be found online.

That is a silly attitude about covers. Very few people are really good writers. Where most cover bands screw up is trying to do the song like the original recording. We do a few covers along with our originals, but we play them the way we would play it. Your never going to sound like the original version. Do a good version of the way you would do it, as opposed to a half ass version of the original. Look at Joe Cocker. When he covered a song, most of the time it became his song. Great songs shouldn't die because some snooty audience members think cover bands are beneath them. Those people generally don't know shit about music anyway. Most of the covers in your clip are as good as or better than the original. Speaking of your clip, we do a killer reggae version of Twist and Shout.

I'm with you on that. ?

@BeeHappy I added some more to that thought.

@Sticks48 You should post a video so we can hear!

@Sticks48 Wimberly. that's near Austin? I go to the Dallas area once or twice a year. Do you play any place on a regular basis?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:264456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.