Agnostic.com

10 3

Proving the unseen

Where does the existence of dark matter fall on your god(s)ar? Since we're on the cusp of proving dark matters existence, does that mean that one day we may prove a god or gods existence?

[google.com]

ashortbeauty 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The phenomena called dark matter and energy is modeled on the effects displayed on objects in the universe that have no other apparent cause by any known means to cause the observed motions of astronomical material. We could have just as well have called it god. It would have been confusing to call it such of course. That some thing must cause the motion is the proof of somethings existence, even if it is only a heretofore unknown consequence of current known causality. The words are a place holder, much like the word god, only for a rather specific scientific discipline.

I think it will and would leave them with faith and word of mouth alone just as it has been for many many years!!

I don't think theyre the same kind of concept lol

Proving the existence of an undiscovered phenomena or material, initially theorized based on indirect observation, might be a way for the theist to portray the discovery of God; but that goal has been elusive for the scientist who believes in a God, but cannot, no matter how hard he/she tries, find his fingerprints. A Nobel Prize surely awaits such a discovery ... and yet we wait.

You can't see gravity. If we prove dark matter exists or not, that has zero to do with proving the existence of god(s). There is a lot of evidence that no Abrahamic god exists. There is no evidence that any god(s) exist.

Theoretical science versus Proof of god? Nope don't think it's going to happen. The god part.

Dark mater not yet proven, hypothesized as an unknown force that binds the other known forces of the universe and is being studied. No one claims that it needs to be worshiped or that it kills and punishes those who do not believe of follows it. Dark matter does not have a chosen people. We are in our infancy when it comes to science and if we do not destroy ourselves, we will discover moer and more over the next thousands of years. I doubt that god will ever appear in front of us.

I couldn't say. I got plenty on this planet to keep me occupied.

I don't see the correlation. There is evidence that dark matter exists but none that a god exists.

gearl Level 8 Feb 19, 2018

It connects in my brain and I'm trying to find the disconnect.

There is absolutely no reason that a god(s) can not be proven to exist. All that would be required is for some tangible, verifiable, peer reviewed evidence to be presented. Until that actually happens, the existence of god(s), deities, the supernatural does not exist and is simply imaginary. IMHO

Imaginary or a theory? Asking not debating.

@ashortbeauty Think about it. If something is invisible, it can only be imagined (or theorized if you will).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26472
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.