Agnostic.com

39 16

The Multiple Intelligences Theory: What types fit you best? Least?

Teachers have to learn about Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory. It's supposed to help identify the many ways in which students learn.

In what ways do you learn best? What's your weakest point?

Developed by Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner in 1983 and subsequently refined, this theory states there are at least seven ways ( “intelligences” ) that people understand and perceive the world. These intelligences may not be exhaustive. Gardner lists the following:

LINGUISTIC
The ability to use spoken or written words.

LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL
Inductive and deductive thinking and reasoning abilities, logic, as well as the use of numbers and abstract pattern recognition.

VISUAL-SPATIAL
The ability to mentally visualize objects and spatial dimensions.

BODY-KINESTHETIC
The wisdom of the body and the ability to control physical motion.

MUSICAL-RHYTHMIC
The ability to master music as well as rhythms, tones and beats.

INTERPERSONAL
The ability to communicate effectively with other people and to be able to develop relationships.

INTRAPERSONAL
The ability to understand one’s own emotions, motivations, inner states of being, and self-reflection.

Two more I have seen added are:

Naturalist intelligence

Ability to recognize and categorize plants, animals and other objects in nature

Existential intelligence
Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence such as, What is the meaning of life? Why do we die? How did we get here?

[edutopia.org]

[niu.edu]

silvereyes 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not buying into this, I don't really learn in any of these manners, so, either I lack intelligence or this list is wrong.

@silvereyes I literally learn by absorption, what goes in sticks there, I maybe a sponge. I definitely do not possess Linguistic intelligence, I am terrible with both the written and spoken word.

I am terrible at math beyond arithmetic; any skill beyond that are all based on memorization. I weigh logical questions by previous absorbed information not by a path of logic.

Visual and spacial yes, I may possess that since it seems I was born with the ability to never get lost. Anything I read or see stays in my memory including diagrams. When I think how to solve a 3 dimensional problem I actually see diagrams in my mind exactly like the ones I memorized right down to the colours used.

Body intelligence not a chance, I am a total spas if I was not far stronger than most people I doubt I would even be alive.

Musical -forget that, other than I like to listen to it, I i can't keep time or stay on key let alone play an instrument, in spite of music lessons.

Interpersonal and interpersonal, nope, I have learned in this area only by the hardest lessons and a lot of reading.

Naturalist - I can easily fool someone that I possess this but, when I was a child I received a 24 volume encyclopaedia of wildlife, I read all 24 volumes several times.

Existential - again not so much other than what I have read or seen.

@silvereyes This may explain why schooling failed me, I could pass any test by simply reading the text book or notes and regurgitating the information in it but, couldn't do written assignments to save my life.

I am some of these but judging by my answer obviously some of them are missing.

I mean I'm missing the meaning of them lol. I'm dyslexic. I'm fairly sure im some of these

I am intrapersonal as I spend a lot of time pondering the whys of my life and how I go about things.

I am linguistic as I love digging into languages and discovering subtleties of them, also, despite being hard of hearing, I pick up languages rapidly. Though, I won't claim fluency in more than my native tongue.

I am definitely Logical-Mathematical, as evidenced by my BSEE and that I love to delve into things scientific/mathematical and, of course, puzzles.

I am musical-Rhythmic but I am a listener, not an active participator (I don't sing or play any instruments but I am a music head in a lot of ways).

I am NOT interpersonal, based on my track record of one amazingly successful and so many failed relationships... even within the one amazing relationship, there were rough days and, as I ponder them, I realize communication was too often the real issue (and personal failings).

I have had times in my life where I could claim most of them, which leads me to ponder whether or not these are 'fixed' or are 'mutable'? I prefer to think that as we grow, as we become more than we once were our intelligences change along with us and thus this is more of a set of abilities that mold to who we have become, changing as we change.

Also of note: the way we perceive ourselves will, very likely, be different than the way that others perceive us.

For me, it would be, in approximate order,

Existential
Naturalist
Logical-Mathematical
Intrapersonal (I find this one a surprise)
Visual-Spatial

The rest I rather suck at.

Visual-spatial and Musical-rhythmic

These are very interesting ways to look at thinking and learning. I read Gardner’s book years ago and enjoyed it. I’d say most people are all these and better at 1-2 or 3.

Unfortunately, there is a problem with how these idea are taught and used sometimes. Sometimes people will put themselves or others into caragories that leave little room for growth and (gasp) change. Maybe there are different uses for different kinds of thinking... not only from year to year, but with a day.

Cakes Level 4 Feb 20, 2018

I suspect that we all have some of them and some of us are more well-rounded than others. Some will be absolute genius prodigies in a few and absolute dimwits in others.

I am fairly strong in several of them, but not genius level in any. I suppose that makes me well-rounded. Except for the Body-Kinesthetic one, I am kind of a klutz. 🙂

Visual-spatial.
I've always been good at visualizing things in three dimensions.

Musical-rhymic.
I'm self-taught on bass, learned by playing by ear so to speak. (Rhythms, tones)
Self-taught on drums. (Rhythms and beats)

This is interesting, though not new. Haven't really looked seriously into it. I'd say I'm pretty good with all but logical and interpersonal...and logical only because it also includes mathematical, which I am SO not good at lol. Clearly I need to narrow it down, though. I'm really not sure I have anything near a mastery of talking about existential shit...but my opinions on it haven't really changed much so there's no real need to do so...so that's off. As much as it pains me, I'm gonna have to scratch off linguistics (I'm a writer, and a really good one according to most people I've asked - which is perhaps only half of the people I've written with, but there were a few in that other half that did say they loved rping with me or made positive comments about several different posts/threads) because most of the time I really don't tend to get the nuances and societal fucking whatever whatever of word usage and...-sigh- I think I can take away visual-spatial as well, since I'm not entirely certain what activities it tends to get used in, and I don't have a job or really any hobbies where that skill is required...so not certain enough of that one, then. Well, I don't think I can remove any of those four left, as they've been with me since as long as I can remember...And obviously, logical-mathematical and interpersonal fit me the least.

@silvereyes Fantasy mainly. Ive dabbled in other things like magical or supernatural modern and a little sci-fi. Trying to rp in other genres some lately (especially horror, sci-fi and post-apoc) but idk if id ever write a book in those xD

Linguistic: exceptional
Musical: very high
Visio-spatial: high
Body-kinesthetic: mixed high and low (excellent balance, coordination, agility--the better to shred on a skateboard with--lousy proprioception--the better to bash into corners of tables and doorjambs with)
Logic circuits: very strong; math circuits: very weak. Why are these in the same category??
Naturalist: WTF?
Existential: yeah I can has deep thoughts...

I think there are lowest common denominators to which these aptitudes can be further rendered and may share: pattern recognition, ability to discern detail, abstraction, etc. Math, language, music, and logic share common elements. The "Naturalist" aptitude just consists of detail resolution and memory, among other things, which would lend equal vigor to identifying the contents of a sewing cabinet or a motherboard--no need to get overly specific and definitive about it.

I'd rather distill the essence from this system to find whatever is fundamental and universal and go from there... I have a feeling various intelligence measuring modalities have already mapped this territory.

This reminds me of taking the SRA's. It was an aptitude test that measured intelligence and aptitude (I believe).

I put in three very varied choices for careers.

They all came back as matches. A lot like the "Divergent" Movies. I was screwed.

BTW I learn best when I see and hear new material.

My SATs didn't help either. I did however get a National Merit Scholarship for college. 😉 Which pays for college - not books - not room - not board. But hey! Less money that I had to pay back.

I look forward to the day that learning information (how students learn) is applied to them! Because we're all very different in this respect.

TLDR

Tarot readings and horoscopes tell you the exact same things without massive expenditure of tax dollars, because people hear Only what they Want to hear! Prove it to yourself.......hide the month info on any horoscope, it will apply to you. Pick your "best matches" from this list....come back a month from now, see if they are the same!

@silvereyes My point is the massive waste of tax dollars for grants for this crapola!

@silvereyes ain't that the truth!

Tarot cards and horoscopes can tell you the exact same stuff without massive expenditure of tax dollars, because people Always hear what they Want to hear!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26575
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.