Vaccinations

Who's for, who's against and why?

• 16 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
beenthere 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why: Because science.

Andrew Wakefield who wrote the original paper claiming that the MMR vaccine caused autism has been totally discredited but many people still believe this.
Of course people have the right not to be vaccinated or have their children vaccinated and I am sure there is an isolated island somewhere that they can all be sent to where they can infect one another until they all die off

Absolutely for. There are enough people who can't vaccinate for health reasons that we must be able to rely upon herd immunity. Outbreaks are dangerous for so many.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 16, 2019

When I was born, there were only smallpox and TB vaccinations available. I promptly got every childhood disease, some more than once. Such suffering and danger of death should always be prevented.

They say vaccines aren't 100% safe. I agree. But if they argue that's why they refuse to vaccinate, they would also need to give up pain reliever, cough medicine, sugar, driving in a car, having sex, walking in an alley at night... I could go on. Everything has risks. I don't care what you decide to give up so long as it doesn't affect another person's life and safety. Vaccines are necessary.

@mjb007bond Do you also stay home when sick to prevent the spread of illness? Do you not practice safe driving to prevent accidents? The concept of herd immunity is solid and valid. If you choose not to vaccinate, you also should advise anyone you're around that you have not been vaccinated. They can then make the choice whether or not to be around you. Would you not tell someone you have an STD before having sex?

Had that despicable doctor not spread false data, this issue would not even be a hot topic.

There's no reason whatever, based on medical evidence, to avoid vaccinations. They not only keep the individual from contracting a disease (or having a lighter case), but it protects others in the population. If your kid gets measles from a classmate (there are rising numbers of measles cases in both Los Angeles and New York right now) she might not get really sick. On the other hand, she might kill the person she meets in the grocery store whose immune system is suppressed by their chemotherapy. Or she might kill grandma and grandpa as immune systems become less effective as people age.

there is no reason to be against vaccinations. the reasons anti-vaxxers come up with have all been debunked. meanwhile it's dangerous to the entire population for some kids not to be vaccinated. it's not just a matter of personal choice. it's the safety of the herd, and yes, that applies to us humans.

g

Vaccinations have made an enormous difference in child mortality rates. The whole anti vaccination movement is based on erroneous information which has since been disproven but remains in circulation. Jenny McCarthy a leading advocate for not vaccinating & made her career selling pictures of her chooch. That qualifies her as an expert.

I was fully vaccinated as a child and had no problems. My children have been vaccinated on schedule with no complications.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:266254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.