Agnostic.com

5 0

Are your contributions "connecting" with others?

Who do you think is the most in-synch with everyone else?
Who is that person who "gets" most people on here? Who is more empathetic with everyone else?

IT'S A POLL - to make this anonymous. Don't name names, please. After all, we don't want to give them a god complex.

But you can name yourself. It would be both a laugh and may suggest something about you (in the context of your contributions, of course).

The poll will not answer the question directly. Instead it's an indication of how many of us are actually connecting with most others.

Go to your profile and look at your stats.

1. Add the number of likes for BOTH your posts and comments.
  2. Add your number of posts and comments.
  3. Divide the number from point 1 with the number from point 2.

I have 477 likes across 252 posts and comments. My likes-to-contributions ratio is: 1.89

(I hope the options are granular enough. I also hope that my scale is correct so that we get what I expect is a "bell curve": many in the middle with few in the outer numbers.)

• 1 vote
  • 7 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
SamKerry 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm gonna tag everyone who commented: @blindbird, @jacpod, @decieven, @afkfishlady, @silvereyes, @unicus, @jayneonacobb, @resserts.

This was only a fun and silly community engagement thing that popped into my head.

I totally missed the fact that the numbers do not represent one's contributions and why and how they engage with others.

It is also obvious to me now that this game is "tone deaf" to the recent posts that suggested some discussions have become toxic. I've not directly seen those discussions but it was clear that some have been offended. I saw that red flag but it didn't tick over in my head. I was oblivious - which is my normal state. And I'm sure that I'll be oblivious to something again on here in the future.

Sorry, all. And carry on.

I wasn't offended and I did think it was fun. I WAS concerned because it's been pointed out that we have a lot of folks on here with depressive disorders and I worry about adding to their insecurities.

Oh, I just took it to be a fun experiment to see how engaged people were in liking posts. I didn't even think of it as a real reflection on the quality of content. I know that my longer comments and replies tend to receive less attention than if I keep them to two or three sentences, even though my longer response makes my point more strongly. I still write the longer responses, though, because I don't care whether as many people read it or respond to it favorably. I'd still rather be comprehensive than to get a dozen likes.

Keep on keepin' on, man!

This thread has boosted my posts!!!

@resserts Oh, I get ya! My "short" essays are the same. I have that need to cover all my bases in one post. Also, I consider forum discussions more like a debate than a face-to-face conversation. Kind-of like a "You state your case. Then I state mine." type of thing. Cheers, mate!

I scored between 2&4. I find this a little problematic however. 1. Lots of people read and comment on posts and other comments without liking them(occasionally guilty)2. People with unpopular opinions are just as important to discussion(if not more)as those who say what "everyone" is thinking. Do we really want anyone to think "shit, I'm in the wrong social media group". That seems mean spirited.

Thank you, thats why I am not engaging in this bit but nice idea just sort of seemingly unquantifiable and I think the fact that I ma enjoying myself here without expectations is enough thankyou all for letting me be here.

2 posts nothing...

832 likes 527 posts and comments. 1.58 rounded up. I'm not here for acceptance. I'm here because this seems like a place for free exchange of ideas. Although I do find that any dissention from popular opinion is often met with hostility.

It's about a 3.6 for me for just posts and comments, and about 3.1 if I add in replies.

I totally missed the replies. Dang!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.