Agnostic.com

26 4

Has anyone else been discriminated against just for being atheist/agnostic/etc??? I've lost friends and I'm currently facing a bit of discrimination at my current job with the county.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I work with a bunch of religious freaks. They would totally judge me if they knew I were an atheist so I don't talk about religion. I do get tired of how everyone is blessed and how the lord will provide for them, its nauseating.

I have a job with a rural Georgia county. Some were shocked to find out that I am an Atheist, but I never experienced discrimination.

I have had a bunch of girlfriends over the years that expected me to convert. But when I didn't, they dumped me.

Yep I been dump few times for same thing

Good riddance. The religious ones tend to be more critical, controlling. I think. Maybe that's just female nature.

@Icewolf13 The old "unequally yoked" talk?

It's a brave man who puts his principles on religion above female companionship. I commend you sir. Now many men would say they worship the great God up the coconut tree if they think it'll help them "score". 🙂

@David1955 , A Saint, I am not. I have gone to plenty of "Church-oriented social activities" [Frank Zappa reference] because of women. In a weird way, that is how I became an Atheist. I joined a Bible Camp because of a hot girl I liked. I did so well to impress her, I impressed the church elders. They drafted me into Christian Leadership training. The only problem is that the more I learned, the less I believed (I was not much of a believer to begin with).As my faith diminished, I questioned more. I eventually started checking out other religions and other Abrahamic officials (Catholics were the most helpful).

@Reignmond that's quite a story.

That's weird, I do the opposite. If any woman even tries to religious me I dump them mid sentence. No pussy is worth that.

If you're working for any level of government, they have a mandate against discrimination. Document everything. Locate a good employment-righrs attorney, or have the ACLU on speed dial. When/If the time comes to pull the trigger, you'll be ready.

I no longer share this information with co-workers. Tired of getting the "I'll pray for you" comments.

Yes, I admitted that I was an atheist at a job interview, and I'm sure that's why I didn't get the job. Whatever, other better jobs out there!

They asked? Illegal.

@RavenCT what can you really do, they did ask, but they just said they had chosen another person. They never gave me a reason.

Nope. But ... I must have "consciousness of guilt" in this regard because I conceal it from my clients. Just joking. My personal [un]beliefs are both TMI for that audience and not relevant to my ability to deliver good services. In fact ... it has nothing to do with my integrity and work ethic, though I imagine they assume those come from some inner godliness.

My main client is owned and operated by conservative Catholics, and there's an up-and-coming VP who is a fundamentalist who home schools his kids. No way I'm going to risk that gravy train over religious ideology. Fortunately it's considered in bad taste to talk about personal beliefs in the workplace.

I really don't see this as a practical problem in the professions, or even in blue collar work, except in regions like the Bible Belt where all this social signaling goes on about who goes to what church and so forth. I'm sure there are exceptions in certain companies of course.

There is no reason for them to know that kind of personal information about you. Why do they? Document EVERYTHING. As for the friends you've lost because of who you are, why would you want to keep them? They won't change.

I just recently lost a friend because she said my religious and political views were so different than hers. She didn't have a problem with it when we first started hanging out but then got married, started getting brainwashed by these other people and then I got that email. So some people pick and choose what road they want to follow. I have lost other friends too on FB and what not.. thats perfectly fine with me. The ones that matter and accept me for who I am, will be the ones I stick by when push comes to shove.. Its that simple.

You need to take the work situation seriously. I doubt the "believers" face such treatment. I would go to HR and make sure your rights are protected.

I never had any trouble. Not at work or with friends. I am originally from the Netherlands and it is much different there. Churches and mosques are closing. People are way less religious there. Chrurches are being sold to private owners who make it into homes and appartments. I am completely open about it even in the US. Some people look strange when they ask me but no discrimination. I do not hide or pretend. Maybe that helps.

I got put in a Catholic hospital for almost two weeks. There where to Sundays while I was there it was a issue for them when I did not attend the service on Sunday. It was also issue when a couple of new patient wanted to pray at meal and I asked to wait till they where done before getting my food and entering dinning area.

So far not by a job but have has several co-work upset about it

I don't tell employers or customers that I am an atheist because where I live I know automatically I will be discriminated against. Here they give all the jobs to those who share their religion or Church. They network like crazy and if they can avoid doing business with anyone they feel do not share their religious view they will. I knew if I ever told my boss I would be out of a job. Now that I am ill I guess it doesnt matter. I can't go back to work anyway.

@Doibie I want to build something like that on my farm but more as an educational thing for Atheists and Agnostic friends. I don't havr the funds and if I do get some money I need to repair my barn and add on. But basically I wanted a place where like minded people could get have an Atheist Experience like discussion and maybe a potluck!

Fired from 2 jobs, friends think I'm crazy for not believing (and that I'm going straight to hell). Take the advice in these posts. Document everything, you are in a gov job and you can sue the hell (fitting eh) out of them if you get any flak at all. One of the jobs I was supposed to attend a 'prayer breakfast'' every morning on my own dime (it was just an excuse by the owner to get a free breakfast from his employees) I attended exactly one half a breakfast. Was gone as soon as they could replace me.

After reading some of your post I must say that to live in NY is not bad at all.

That coupled with the fact I'm not a Republican. It was enough to have to quit my job.

Feel for ya buddy.

I work with anti-vaxers, republicans, Christians, flat earthers, believers in most every conspiracy theory.

@001_Cynthia, That's Georgia.

No, not that I'm aware off. I too stay nice to religious people ……… in general.

Gert Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

I get seriously discriminated against because of my tattoos

I've gotten wired reactions from clients. I got told that they didn't believe I was an actual atheist. It's just something I say. I didn't know how to react to that. I figure I have a fairly likable/strong personality, so I kind of feel like it's my duty to tell people I'm an atheist to ease the pressure on someone that might not be able to deal with that kind of negative social feedback.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 21, 2018

L haven't had any problems at corporate jobs, probably because l don't advertise beliefs or lack thereof. Once, when l worked in a shop, my boss decided l was a witch and ran around the building telling everybody. That was odd.

My lips are sealed..

Check, yes.

Oh, I am going to hell, I have been told so many times. I have lost friends from years ago, who have made contact recently and our paths have clearly diverged, some of them have become more religious than I would have thought possible. I din't understand. but, I can't say I miss them.

Same! Religious zealot made it her mission to slander me

I had a lot of trouble with both Walmart and Hardees

I don't make a point of discussing religion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.