Agnostic.com

39 3

Is there a meaning of life?

what i mean to say is , does life have on main reason of existence.

remember to explain below

• 10 votes
  • 26 votes
Selah613 5 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It does not in and of itself have meaning. We are simply of byproduct of life which is ever seeking to perpetuate itself.

However, individuals can assign meaning or purpose to his/her own life as it suits. Personally, I consider myself to be a lottery winner of a sort by even existing. Thus, I want to rack up as much experience and enjoy each to the fullest while I can.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

Robert Sapolsky has a Stanford course lecture series on 'Human Behavioral Biology', 27 classes, you can watch on YouTube. His perspective and cumulative approach using multiple disciplines on why we do what we do has given me a better understanding on us, and that might help answer that question.

Life is what we make of it. Yes, there are some events that are out of our power, but the important thing is how we respond to the events we experience.

Its whatever you want it to be

I don't believe there is a purpose or reason for each of us having been born. That said, I think since we are here, we need to be the best person we can be and help others as much as possible.

Objective meaning? No. But meaning need not be objective. We can easily give ourselves fulfilling meaning.

For me yes it does. Let me explain, I never for as long as I can remember believed in an all powerful being. But after I was done with school I was totally lost and just thought what is the point and what do I do now. I went on like this for a few years until I met my husband. I then became a mum. I now have my meaning to life. It's to love and be loved. That's just my thoughts and it's not the same for everyone.

OK could you please help me out I'm 16 and while I'm an atheist my mom is very religious. We live in the same house and we but heads a lot about religion could you please give me some tips as a mom yourself

Nothingness prevails

There is no no meaning to life, but there is purpose to life without a purpose, you have no meaning and without a meaning you have no purpose. A catch 22, I know, but it's your job to figure it out all on your own.

If you want to be more Spiritual, then you are here to learn a lesson. But here's the catch 22 again, you'll have to figure that out on your own.

yes, life has meaning and is fun as hell. i try hard to spend as much time as i can in the present moment. many of those moments are full of fun and joy. i've been a practicing Zen Buddhist for enough years that i see the world through zen eyes. its a wonderful perspective and view. i have
found that the regular meditation helps me understand that being in the moment is a useful, joyful exercise. i find i don't take myself as seriously as i used to and i find joy and meaning in the simplest things. i know there is no god, but that understanding does not sully my world in the least. be well, Ross

yes, genes want to keep alive hence all mothers and fathers generally taking great care and effort to look after and make there own young but that's it in a nutshell. its humans who are very self-aware that read so much other rubbish into life and religion and traditions while the rest of life struggles to just survive and breed. we can learn a lot from nature. it's not just the trainer teaching the dog as you can learn just the same from them. our big brains seem to be our biggest drawback when humans could be so much more if we could drop the hatred and religion and learn to work for what we all need and not what we all want.we are totally destroying this amazing planet when we could be doing fantastic things for everything that lives on it.

Life simply exists. Its only meaning is that which (1) we synthesize in our minds, and (2) the meaning we give life through our thoughts and actions and the consequences of those.

The word "meaning" (as with all words) is manmade. We are free to create the definition of "meaning to life." However, the universe does not supply any definition. When students ask me "what's the meaning of life," I tell them to get a dictionary, and look under "L."

The meaning of life is to evolve. Without this meaning we would not be here. If you mean is there meaning to human life I would say no (the anthropocentricity of this question is implied which, to me, is the main source of the problems on this planet).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.