Agnostic.com

60 12

What is love

Iโ€™ve bonded with people and itโ€™s brought me joy but Iโ€™ve never loved someone. I feel that humans have put their own fairy-tale definition on what love is. Love to me is a healed cut. I need someone to help further my thoughts.

Destinyanne 4 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dopamine? Approximately 3 years ๐Ÿ™‚

love is an action, but often advertised as an emotion i guess

Love is so many things to so many people. Love to me is a willingness to give up resources for another. Emotional resources, material ones.... Many things masquerade as love; lust, obsession, being in love... Love to me is sacrifice. But to be healthy sacrifice it requires a equal return of some kind. Like most things love from the outside view can seem to be wrong. Gay love, mixed racial love, even I dare say young and old love. The rub is in the individuals versus the groups perception, expectation and wants. It like most things is not a simple answer. So the better question is what is love to you. And an understanding that it may not be the same answer I would give. I have little interest in BDSM but others find something in it I do not and as long as both parties are willing and understand the give and take more power to them. I am not gay but I love plenty of men. And much like my spiritual life I reserve final judgment for the moment. Maybe I will meet a man and fall hard for him who knows? I think far more damage is done by our group thinks need for control and simple definition than the fringe of what is love or what is truth.

Quarm Level 6 Jan 24, 2019

I'm sure someone else has said this but.....

What is love is a song by Haddaway

baby don't hurt me..

Love is subjective. Whatever your definition, As an exceptionally attractive woman, I think that love will be something that will come to you when you decide you want it. You can travel all over the world as you have done. See all that it has to offer. And when you are ready to have love, the men will line up for you. And you will simply pick the most desirable specimen.

Thank you for your sincere response. It brought me peace in many ways ?

Love is always wondering how long it will be until they return. Everytime they leave the room.

One, its about perpetuation, and that picture in our minds of two people sharing intimacy. Two, its about our amnesia. There is an aspect of the mind where you can concentrate on something but at the same time are also completely forgetful.

Love is what you and the person you love agree that it is.

Tim Roth provides a pretty good definition . . .

THHA Level 7 Jan 17, 2019

"I feel that humans have put their own fairy-tale definition on what love is." Agree. Many animal species exhibit a temporary period of consorting pairs.

The maximum enjoyment of another...

And interdependence.

Baby donโ€™t hurt me
Donโ€™t hurt me
No more

"An intense feeling of deep affection" is the basic dictionary definition. Seems fine to me.

Everyone of course comes to the term with their own expectations, often informed by pop culture and other, um ... unreliable sources of inspiration.

It is a mistake to expect love with a significant other to solve all your personal problems. Indeed, it's apt to just magnify them, so it's a good idea to get your personal shit together as much as possible before indulging in it.

Love is a four letter word. Although I do love ice cream

"Love is a subjective condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own happiness." - R. A. Heinlein

Love is not lust it's a bonding that is hard to describe, putting the other in front of your needs but must be mutual both should feel the same. A bonding that includes close friendship and does involve lust but not just that

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 30, 2019

Love, IMO, includes an ability to feel sad rather than angry when another offends me.

Oh gosh. Itโ€™s the one thing that drives me absolutely mad! Itโ€™s so illogical but we canโ€™t live with out it!!

LOLMSP Level 3 June 20, 2019

That is how I love my daughter HEALING HER CUTS furthering her thoughts

Kissed her ouchies washed gently cuts and put on band aids with flowers

I was married for nearly 27 years but I never felt loved either, we are the same I think.

Love is when you can not stand being apart each other Love is when you finish each others sentences Love is powerful it is painful and it is Wonderful It will make you lie cheat steal and also make you the best version of who you are all at the same time. Lastly Love is a friendship that can with stand anything

I think it's a completely personal experience. I got the same question along time ago. Then I went through some of the definitions set by many philosophers, and it seemed to me like nothing objective about all of them. It's like they're just trying yo generalize their own experiences that actually have nothing to do with others'. So I think you just need to get your own stories and try to comp up with a definition of love that puts them together in a meaningful context.

To much thinking and analyzing, has never worked for me when it comes to love. it's a beingness together, whether friend , family or lover. This is of course my experience, not saying its true.

Ya love is mad and crazy about fell like

Love comes in so many forms that to define all of it you'd have to make it something vague like: "A willingness to make sacrifices" (for the person in question)

Why? Because you're addicted to the chemical release you feel around the person in question.
It's like paying for drugs. You give, you get.
We feel this way because most of our existence as a species we were to undeveloped to intellectually understand the advantage and the necessity of group cohesion; so our emotions encouraged that behavior. (to be pedantic, those who developed this particular emotion raised their chances at survival, and we inherited their traits)

A healed cut? Could you explain?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.