Agnostic.com

12 2

M. Night Shyamalan- Love him? or What in the bloody hell was that?

I've found people either love his films or think they are dumb and don't make sense. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle road. I love his work and find it to be probative, provocative and thought provoking. What are your thoughts?

Amzungu 8 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've tried but find his premises foolish and predictable.

Signs is the most asinine alien movie ever. There is an alien race with the technology to travel at least across galaxies, but they don't bring weapons to invade a planet occupied by a militant species; and even though water will kill them they come to a planet that's 3/4s water. I'm aware of the fan theory that the aliens were actually demons, and the little girl was an angel whose touch blessed the water. If that was the meaning; it's even more asinine.

The Village was predictable and kind of boring, but The Visit was at least watchable, but still predictable..

I'm not a fan.

JimG Level 8 Jan 19, 2019

I like his work.

Like others said, very hit or miss. I appreciate that no matter what, he's making movies that no one else is really attempting usually. I used to LOVE his ability to create suspense, but I think James Wan has the current crown in my heart. Split was interesting enough, that I'll forgive unbreakable and watch glass for sure! 🙂

Never liked his films. Not even The Sixth Sense. Always found this stories to be dry and boring.

Buxx Level 7 Jan 19, 2019

The ideas are pretty good, but the execution is only fair. Still I enjoy most of his movies.

Some th9ngs are better than others, plus I am no fan of "horror" movies...."boring" describes them, lol.
But that Sixth Sense with Bruce & the kid was Genius!

His early stuff was excellent, but after Unbreakable he hit the kind of long stretch of bad film making which would have gotten most directors bounced from the big budget Hollywood studios long ago. Somebody in Hollywood is really going to bat for this guy.

He seemed to start getting his act back together with The Visit (which still wasn't that great but showed some promise), and his subsequent films have each shown progressive marginal improvement.

Perhaps one day he'll make another film as good as The Sixth Sense, but he's got a long hill to climb before he's back to being a film maker of that caliber again.

I do not like. Roll my eyes so hard I give myself a concussion.

I see his supposed "shock" endings within the first few minutes.

i'm not such a fan of how he ends some of the movies.

Love

No one can hit all cylinders all the time

Ya.... but Samalayan hit such a long stretch of bad film making that he should have been shit canned years ago. Who kept giving this guy money to make movies?

I mean, I'm glad that the guy has gotten his act together, but who else in Hollywood would get that many chances to pull their head out of their ass?

@webbew1 The guy could make a million bad movies but he can't force me to go see them. Why sweat it?.....

He's very hit and miss. The Sixth Sense was a great film and I really liked The Village (which a lot of people hated), but some of his other films really miss the mark.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 19, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:269128
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.