Agnostic.com

36 5

Would you stay with your husband/wife or girlfriend/boyfriend if you found out they couldn’t have children?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Definitely I would have done it but I have not been in that situation. I think it depends on each case and how much do you wish to have children.

Of course. There's always adoption.

Depends on how much the other person really means to you.
I got away with pretty much anything that I wanted with my first wife because to her being married was the highest priority whether or anyone thought that I was the wrong guy and hell even after I knew that she couldn’t be that oblivious she still acted as though nothing was wrong.

So if you’re the one who can’t have children and your partner feels that it’s a mandatory for the relationship to survive then cut them loose because someone will eventually give them that child.

But if it’s your partner who can’t produce and once again it’s mandatory then cut them loose because you’ll eventually have a child with someone.

I’m just saying that don’t wait or hold on to someone because you don’t want to look like the bad guy because one day the resentment will be too much for the relationship to bear and that’s not fair to anyone.

I never wanted kids, so back when I was that young I would have been a Yes. Unfortunately, living in the Midwest, as a young man I couldn't find any compatible women my age who either couldn't have kids or didn't want kids. So I dated unsuccessfully until I met my late wife when I was 36 because all the women my age had kids or wanted them. At my present age, this is a non-issue as all the women in my dating age range are too old to have kids nor would they want to produce them.

Reading the comments below, I guess I should have found a Unitarian church when I was much younger so I could have dated Agnostic and Atheist women who didn't want to have kids. Too little too late.....

Yes, no question.

Without a doubt!

Why not?

It would depend on the presumption of why you're married. If you're willing to make changes or adaption such as adopting or using surrogates.

Me I see marriage as a financial contract to create a union who's purpose is to rear offspring. So without family or kids in the picture just stay mates but not financially entangled.

Of course marriage is between a man and a woman firstly.

@Stepmomofdragons how is it wrong? It's a question of marriage when procreation is part of the equation. It's a very specific answer

@Stepmomofdragons correct any two people can make said union. Adoption isn't for everyone and babies are hard to get.

It begs the question: How did it become the social paradigm that it was the natural course of things that a relationship should lead to having children? It has been my observation that for the female it may be mandated by hormones, but it seems that in the case of the male, not all are so inclined. I got a vasectomy at about forty...I should have gotten one on my eighteenth birthday just to have been on the safe side.

My now ex and I had talked about four kids, she had one before we got together and we had another. The doctor performed the hysterectomy right after the birth. Only lasted another 35 years.

BillF Level 7 Jan 19, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:269639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.