Agnostic.com

10 2

Ever had an awkward moment when you thought you had to be at work?

I’ve done this so many times. There’s been times I’ve gotten off work then crashed as soon as I got home, wake up in a few hours to think I’m late for work. Here I am, not aware that it is actually just the same day at a later hour trying to hurry and get dressed for work in a panic that I’m about to be late then there is only to find out I don’t even have to be at work and I’ve already completed the shift for the day. It’s funny a couple of minures after I realize where I messed up, but it it’s not funny in the moment where I’m convinced I’m late and I’m rushing for the sake of my job lol.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

yes but ti was a long time ago - I used to work saturday evenings at a pub called the Cutty Sark in Greenwich my friend came over to babysit for me one evening i was so distraught because she hadnt come and I was in such a state I was crying as I so hate to be late when she got to me she put her arms round me and said 'Laura the clocks went back!" I still couldnt go to work as I was so gutted- so we just sat together and nattered

Yes ....needing sleep confuses the daily work cycle .....having calendars and clocks around the home can stop the panic rush back to a job. ....caffeine or other drugs cannot substitute for enough sleep

Usually when I am supposed to be at work. I work hard, I start earlier than anyone else, and I usually just walk out when I have had enough. Sure enough, phone calls and emails arrive, no problem with me not being there, just more questions. I do wonder if someone will ask me to go back to work one day, I know it ruffles some peoples feathers.

I'm scheduled at 11 every day. So no.

The worst was after 24 hour duty in the army. It's was always longer than 24 hours. After getting off duty at 0900 (9am) I had some things to take care of on post before going home. I was off until 0430 the following morning and got home around noon. I fell asleep sitting in a recliner in front of the t.v.
When I woke up, the clock said 6:00, and I panicked. Being late for work is really bad when you're in the army. I threw on a uniform and boots and sprinted for my car.
On my way through the parking lot, I saw my neighbor, also a soldier, getting out of his car. He was not in uniform, and obviously just getting home from the grocery store.
My brain wasn't fully functioning yet, but it didn't take long to realize that it was just after 6:00pm.

JimG Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

A closely related situation was when I drove to work one Monday morning. I drove to our S&A (supply and administration building) for first formation. There was nobody there; so I thought, 'Formation must be at the barracks.'
I ran half a block to the barracks. Nobody there. All the windows are dark. 'Shit,' I was freaking out, 'where's my troop?'
I ran back to my car and drove to the park on post. Sometimes we did PT in the park, I must have missed the location change.
On the way to the park, I heard a Veteran's Day thank you on the radio. That's also when it occurred to me that there's no traffic. If there's one holiday that the army does not work it's Veterans' Day.

Wow! That must have been insane. I worked 6:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m shifts and could have sworn I was late for work when I woke up at 6:50 p.m, thinking it was a.m.

Its happened to me a few times, but wow your experiences sound intense

Now i call those nightmares...

Not since the day I retired.

Yes, all the time, usually when I'm physically in my office.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27286
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.