Agnostic.com

11 4

Tell about an exciting, fun, or interesting thing that happened to you while pursuing a favorite (nonsexual) hobby.

For instance, if you fancy camping or hiking, you can tell about sighting a panther, or moonlight swim in the lake.

I have an example; In 1983 I was riding my Arabian horse, Abram, down a steep trail on the mesa above, Durango, CO, when Abram suddenly froze.

I looked up to see what resembled a classic Christmas reindeer floating slowly past me through the air at eye level. Front legs folded back, hind legs stretched out behind, huge antler rack thrown back onto the shoulders, it proceeded to drift in slow motion into the trees at the other side of the trail.

By now, both Abram and I were frozen, while I tried to understand what I had just seen. WTF??

I finally realized we had seen a bull elk that had leaped from the steep slope above the trail and was heading for a point far below us. It seemed to be moving in slow motion because of its immense size and distance from us, about 35 feet away.

It passed over the trail so high above the ground because of the steep mountainside angle.

It took a few minutes before Abram would unfreeze and start moving forward again.

birdingnut 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My hobby is drag racing bikes. Not pro, just at sportsman level. Day to day, I ride a big adventure style bike, but at the start of the 2016 season I broke my race bike, so for a laugh, entered by big, lumbering heavy adventure bike in the 11.10 second bracket. And was runner up.
10 rounds and 2 outright wins later, I was the 2016 Straightliners champion and 3rd overall of all bike classes!!!
Still haven't rebuilt the race bike fully so probably will race the Tiger again this year - exciting and fun for me, and interesting in that I've been competitive on a bike totally unsuited to its new environment. It certainly got me lots of attention.

Scenery round here isn't as wild as yours but my partner and I decided to go to Rathlin island (Off the north coast of Northern Ireland) and camp out we wanted to see the puffin sanctuary It was a fair walk from the harbour and we were into wading thought really long grass when a Rathlin hare broke cover it was the biggest of its kind I have ever seen, English hares are a lot smaller it was enchanting and the puffins though extremely smelly were a great encounter too.

I took my then 5-year-old grandson golfing with me. I set my 9 iron on the grass next to the green while I went to putt. The green was fairly close to a water hazard. I was not paying attention but did notice that he had gone over near the pond. After I finished I called him over to the golf cart and continued the round. On a later hole, I went to get the 9 iron and it was not in the bag. I questioned Dylan about it, and he "wasn't sure" but it may have fallen into the water hazard. After the round, we went back to look for it and did not find it. Fast-forward to the next spring – I went into the pro shop and noticed a display of used golf clubs, mostly pitching wedges and 9 irons. Sure enough, there was my 9 iron which for the low, low price of $5 I bought back.

My buddy and I were mountainbiking one of our favorite places a few years back when we came upon some people stopped on the trail who appeared intent on something. We stopped and asked one of them what they were looking at/for, and the guy said, "There's a mountain lion in the bushes over there (beside the trail)." Needless to say, we were curious, so we hung out for a bit, and sure enough, a full grown puma emerged and crossed the fireroad we were on about 60 or 70 feet away. That was kind of exciting.

Now that is a wonderful story...
But, you are setting a pretty high bar for a follow-up story ... 🙂

Ok, most absurd fishing story I've been a part of:

My mom claimed to have caught a 24 inch catfish on a pink fuzzy panfish jig during the day. No witnesses or picture. Much skepticism.

That night, my brother and I decide to catfish and drink beer. We borrowed every rod from the house, despite my husband not wanting us to touch his. While relaxing and chatting, VROOM! A rod flew off the dock into the lake! It was NOT my husband's. Picked up the other rods, just in case... bro got a huge hit on his, fought the fish a good long time. Got it to the dock: was the first rod that had shot into the water hooked by his.

The fish was still on the first rod that we had just recovered! Bro managed to land the fish after a long battle with THAT rod. We netted the fish and ran to the house to get a photo as the catfish was big. The entire family came from their beds to see it. As Dad took the photo, my mom said, "Look! There's my pink lure!"

Sure enough, we'd caught the same fish she'd claimed to have caught earlier that day. Guess the darned fish needed another lesson!

Zster Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

I had a great time with the person I meet on here. And we was on our second time spending time with each other. We went on a two hour walk. And the second time we to the park and had fun by the water fall. We are friend but I really like her and she like me. We have so many things in common. I'm glad I came across this site.

I’m a grafter, do it and ..taught it. I’d corresponded with several folks from our state parks department looking to propagate replacement apple & pears trees from an ancient homestead that had become a state park. Heavy snow had laid over two trees, and two more were in poor health. Having corresponded for months prior to a grafting event, explaining collection and storage, a contingent of state park service employees shown up on their Saturday (off) to watch me ‘make new trees’ from the scions they’d collected.

In their park uniforms and a packed house, I got to play the Wizard 😀 ...and made sure they left with several viable replacements, including trees a couple of them wanted for their own. Instantly, the line for my services got longer … but what a thrill to know, to this day those trees (fenced from deer & elk) are living on for another 160 years due to ‘my hobby’ 🙂

Varn Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

😀 that is such a hilarious story! sorry, can't top that, will think about it.

Well I could tell you about a night beach walk when approached by two naked girls who had been for a swim and lost their clothes in the dark, wanted help finding them.
What a dilemma. Found clothes in a few minutes. Should I admit or offer to take them home?
Pity they were so young, ie mid 20s, younger than my kids.

A few years ago a former US President came to the area and I got to drive a van in the Secret Service motorcade for the afternoon and evening. It was not on my Bucket List but it would have been if I thought it was possible. Listening in on the various conversations made me realize that there are some really bright people out there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27363
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.