Agnostic.com

6 8

LINK "Below 1%": Monarch Butterfly Approaching Total & Irreversible Extinction

"In 1980, the monarch butterfly population reached about 4.5 million. By the mid-2000s, the count dropped to barely 100,000 and last year, the number of western monarchs fell to a staggering 28,429 – a 99.4 percent decline that Xerces Society conservation biologist Emma Pelton described to the San Francisco Chronicle as “this other order of magnitude drop.”

“It’s mind-boggling. We’re now down below 1 percent of the historic population,” Pelton explained to the Chronicle."

(( photos mine -- from 2018 -- I raise monarchs at my BnB ))

SkotlandSkye 8 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tying to do my little part by planting milkweed and other butterfly loving plants and spreading the word With the help of my garden club. So far a better year with all the rain and wildflowers across the western states!

[goodnature.nathab.com]
With your help we can make a difference. Save those milkweeds & plant some more. Milkweeds are sacred on my 4 acres here in Wisconsin. All 4 types. Join us.

I have 5 in my yard. Two are covered with cattapillers right now. I hope they all make it.

@Redheadedgammy Lucky you. Makes me happy to hear it. There are "socks" you can get to protect them from predatory wasps and such. Good luck.

Sad news. Insects are not doing well either.

Irreversible extinction? As opposed to reversible ones?

I've noticed a lot of the butterflies in my yard this year are coming out of their cocoons but some can't get one wing to straighten out. It's so sad to see them struggle. I had one come in the house on one of my potted plants that I took in cuz it was going to be below freezing. She went outside the next day when I put the plant outside. Flying all over. Yay!

Of all the species we're losing, this one makes me the saddest.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:274483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.