Agnostic.com

12 3

When you were young, what type of fort did you build?

I remember the makeshift pillow and sheet forts made inside the house for those rainy days. I also remember hanging out with a friend at her father's campground in the woods and helping to put together a spur of the moment fort from wood and sticks/branches, that lasted through the many times we would go camping. Growing up, there was a family a few houses down that were (we thought anyway from their accent) from Russia. One year they made an igloo. It was amazing to enter something so cold and be able to sit on an ice bench that went around the circle of the wall. I also remember a next door neighbor making a two sided closed fort with a separating wall inside and a "peek hole" you could open to look into the other side of the fort in their backyard. It was a place where my sister and her friend could hang out and the other side of the fort was where the friend's brother would hang out, and me 😉 Fun times.

MyLiege 7 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Used the basement of an old abandoned train station that had been torn down as our fort. You basically had to take a running slide into from the street side or you could go around back and make your way down privately. We ended up getting a mattress to lounge on and a couple friends even had campouts there to get away from home.

our neighbours still had their andersen shelter from the war it was a good fort!

I built a lean-to, in the woods out of sticks and pine branches. I felt so proud of what I had done. I can't remember if my sister and brother even played in it! I just remember the building process!

I had an amature junkyard to play in so my forts were made from everything from grass, to cornstalks, to plywood, pallets, and some of them even included cars that were on their sides.

When young, none
But made up for it 10 years ago at 50.
In a swamp, I had a dam dug with an island in the middle and helped some kids build a log fort complete with battlements and rope ladders on the island. We planned a trebuchet but I lost the place to an ex before this was done.

When I was about 11, we had an excess of cinder blocks, not enough in good enough shape to be a stand able fortress though. So for about 2 months I dug through rocky soil nearly every day after school until I had reached about 12' in circumference and about 4 foot in depth. Used the cinder blocks to build an upper wall that one could look through, throw snow balls, ect, and plywood for the roof. A lot of effort went into that one. Lol

All of them. I even had my own “military bunker” in the backyard. Filled with canned food and nerf guns.

My dad was a skydiver, and when parachutes were too old to use, he gave them to me. I used them as forts in trees. I created weird little alien hatches where I could "incubate" away from earth's deadly atmosphere and then return to pretend I was human.

Forts were just a part of life during my childhood. I grew up in southern California in the 70's...nice weather, always outside from sunup to sundown. But my very favorite "fort" was built entirely by mother nature. Up in the back corner of our huge back yard was an old, sprawling fig tree. We kids figured out we could scramble under the branches and almost stand up inside this thing. We did a bit of "pruning", brought in a couple of sleeping bags and no one could find us. It was one of our great secrets...

We used a bunch of old pallets, and painted it with red paint. When we ran low on paint we added water to it and our fort was red and pink. It was a very fun memory. Hadn't thought about that in years, thanks!

card table blankets. Extension cord and radio. I realized just now, remembering back on it, that I thought the blanket made it sound proof so I could sing and talk and not be overheard.... No wonder my mom could read my mind... dang.

I lived in the country and would make stick forts in the woods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.