Agnostic.com

8 4

LINK Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians - The Atlantic

I ran across this while looking for something else, but found it ... well ... interesting, in that "WTF" sort of way.

SeaGreenEyez 9 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was suggesting a similar thing in another post, but maybe didn't articulate the idea very well.

Atheism, just like theism and even science are all religions. Just different forms of philosophical belief and understanding.

@SeaGreenEyez Yep

Second definition : "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance".

@SeaGreenEyez A friend of mine and I had discussed thus at length. Thought things in one are based on blind faith and random chance from an empirical perspective they are considered works of an all powerful being the other. The fundamental disconnect if you will.

Well this just shows me this country is as fucked-up as I thought it was.

I got about half way through it before truly needed to go and spew my guts up.
" Atheist Churches," who is the Author trying to kid with that bit of propaganda?
Does he/she define 'Atheist Churches' as being Government Funded Public Schools as against Religiously Funded ones, or Public libraries where one can find information, etc, based upon research, facts and truths, maybe the author is referring to the Atheist Institutions found in most towns and cities like the ones in my town where the locals go regularly every Sunday Morning in their droves, i.e. the local Pubs and Clubs, those 'churches' seem to have congregations that would regularly exceed any found in religious churches, etc.

@SeaGreenEyez Yeah well, we all, in the rest of the world that is, realize that America is a kind of screwed up nation to say the very least, don't we?

@SeaGreenEyez I hazard to say that America has never really been feared except by its own people and these days even its enemies find it to be one massive joke.

@SeaGreenEyez I had an atheist friend here from Sheffield five or six years ago. We were driving through Indiana and he was flipping out what he saw a barn with Jesus saves in 10-foot lettering. Later that same day we saw a huge cross stuck in the ground for a KKK burning cross ceremony or whatever they call them.

@SeaGreenEyez you may be onto something! I used to live in Michigan City but I was only there one year as a child. I had no idea how bad Indiana was. A few years ago I saw a documentary on the clan and how prevalent they were there. That is when I first realized how bad they were. And then of course the last few years with your governor! BTW we are neighbors, I live in Ohio.

@SeaGreenEyez yes I can't imagine how bad Idaho is with all the militia groups. Yes I'm really embarrassed my home state voted for Trump, but glad to say we went with Obama the last two elections. I have only been back here since 05. From 82 to 05 I was in San Diego. I just sent you a message, if you want to text message me back. Keep warm tomorrow! David

Word salad

the problem is that the author identifies :"nones" and atheists as the same thing. sometimes they are, but the concepts are not the same. nones do not identify with a particular religion but might or might not believe in a god or gods. atheists pointedly do not believe in any gods. the article mentions the rise of atheist churches. i have never seen one. i've seen some people sort of longing for one, but have not actually seen evidence of one. that doesn't mean there are no atheist churches, but... well, the concept seems stupid to me. why can't atheists have gathering places that are called something else? why churches? community can be had in places that are not called churches! you wanna sing? join a choir! anyway, thinking nones and atheists are identical can lead to the conclusion this author reached. it's a false conclusion, though.

g

Yep (depending on your definition of "religious" ).

skado Level 9 Jan 28, 2019

A better title to the article would be, "Some Religiously Unaffiliated People in the USA Are More Religious Than Some Christians in the World." But, that title might not have garnered enough readers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.