Agnostic.com

36 5

Would you involve yourself in a romantic relationship with a theist?

I'm curious to know-- would you be able to set aside a religious difference of opinion in a romantic relationship?

• 22 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 42 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not worth the hassle, aggravation and frustration. I will remain single until there is someone out there who accepts my ways of thinking and I can accept theirs as well. Makes like much simpler that way.

Sounds the most reasonable.

I was married to one who didn't have the courage to give me a reason for leaving. We discussed my lack of faith and her acceptance of it before marriage, but I'm pretty sure she lied. When you lie to yourself about reality, how much harder is it going to be to lie to someone else.

Exactly what happened to me. She lied by omission in the beginning of our relationship, then got pregnant, so we got married and I tried to be a good Christian during our marriage, but it was never enough. I even called my first born son Christian (I wanted Sebastian but was overruled) and I went on religious retreats and many church based events. It turned out she was a literal conservative Christian, therefore believed that every word in the buybull was true and ordained by God. We even went through marriage counseling with a very experienced Christian counselor who ended up arguing with her about the buybull and God for our two hour sessions every week. He ended up diagnosing her as bipolar, and though I think that is not the case, that shows just how extreme her biblical views were. I survived 9 years for the sake of my kids and then had to split for my own sanity. After than religious abuse it was very easy for me to become an atheist.

Buybull

Love this so much.

Also kind of wonder if there may be some correlation with mental illnesses / disorders due to the fact most people have accepted certain facts because they were told to and facts that they have learned in life or that make more sense to them. Just a thought

Yes, buybull! Perfect summary.

I was with a guy who told me that he no longer considered himself a Christian because of the negative connotation. He was secretly a guest minister in a gay Pentecostal church and was praying for my conversion.

I imagine it would depend on the people involved but theist / non-theist is somewhat more complicated than people of two differing religions. I've done it and it's very hard for me. I sometimes feel like he or his family see me as the "demon temptress" sent to take him right to hell.

I would like to say no and I have dated theists before, always ending in disaster. I would love to meet a gay atheist man, but there are not many of us who live close to each other. Attraction as it is may getting me in trouble again with a theist, but I really don't want that to happen. It is very frustrating, not only to meet gay atheists, but people who are not emotionally damaged.

Yes. I can ignore his unpleasantness ingeneral but harassing other members is just not something that should be acceptable.

His comments lead me to believe he's hovering around his 16th birthday.

How do you find people that are not emotionally damaged? Do you have a cut off for too much emotional damage? I think we all are emotionally damaged, just in varying degrees.

Edward59, it is degrees. Because of my nature and my field, which was working with kids and young adults with mental and physical disabilities, I seem to attract people who want therapy, more than they want a relationship. If I love someone, I am more than willing to help them with their baggage. That is called supporting another person, but I meet too many who are beyond the support of a partner. With me, the old saying is true, what you see, is what you get. I put all out there and there are no surprises. I would like to find the same.

Two of my three relationships were with believers. Both cheated on me and then lied about it.

Having been there, I would never go there again.

I am not sure what to vote. I am not into dating anyone that is a followerer of man made books as doctrines on how to live their lives. I am not comfortable with extremist of any kind from any side of the theist spectrum.

DeiP Level 5 Nov 3, 2017

I voted for the third because I think I got under it but I wanted to clarify.
I am good and you?

It is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'd date someone who said they are 'spiritual' though I don't really like that term either, but I tend to assume they would agree with being agnostic. My fiancé loves the fact that I am atheist and write a lot about atheism, so this is great for me.

If the theist is able to have spirited debate about her beliefs and doesn't just use the tinfoil hat of faith, then I'm all for it. The criteria would have to be that she doesn't judge me for my lack of belief, that she isn't convinced I'm going to hell, and that she has an open enough mind to adjust her views given reason to do so.

Hard to find. They often want to change you.

@daddy4pugs The situation is different in Europe. Here, religion isn't seen as an important thing, one mostly keeps it to oneself.

That is the impression I get from European friends. It doesn't factor into everyday life, even if they believe in a god.

@daddy4pugs In the UK, church is mostly just a social opportunity, to interact with members of the community. The whole religious aspect is practically an afterthought.

In fact, of all my friends, the only ones who take the Bible literally are American.

All of my relationships have been with theist. And none of them ended because of it. I've never had any issues and they never berrated me. Oddly enough, I've never been with an atheist. Weird.

That is unusual.

I know quite a few people who've been married for decades and have practiced their religions separately. It's a mutual agreement, kind of like separate bedrooms.

SamL Level 7 Nov 3, 2017

I just can't do that. I discuss everything when I am in a relationship.

No to the fuck to the no to the fuck. Been there, did that. Kinda why I'm on here.

As long as they don't try to shove it down mine or anyone else's throats.

I voted not a deal breaker, but it really, really, really, depends on the other person, and I'm not just talking about looks either.

Actually I already have. It was going fine we both respected each other s views but then she received an opportunity to complete her doctorate and had to move so we ended it.

For a long time I thought 'no' especially if we had kids as I would want to raise them without religion, then for a while I thought that maybe I would. A couple of years ago a new relationship was ended because she felt it couldn't work if I didn't share her beliefs. A few months later she had changed her mind but by then I thought she was right and have gone back to thinking 'no never'.

It really depends on the person's brand of theism. If a deist counts as a theist for the purpose of this question then my answer is yes. To me, deism is an intellectually defensible position. Being void of the nonsense of revelation and furthermore by virtue of it's subscription to the indifference of the universe I wouldn't mind at all. I could even consider a liberal church going person (not a bible person) who is not too high strung, who drinks, has sex, and enjoys life without an inkling of religious guilt or remorse. There are many that go to church (for tradition, enjoyment of liturgy etc.) that really believe and operate like deists without necessarily declaring themselves as such. But as for a bible believing, evangelical christian that thinks they have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, no way---that would just be too annoying.

I don't see why not ... Agree to disagree works for me , mind you I,ll go to hell !

I was married to a devout Christian. At the time I was disenchanted with religion as a whole and we never made it an issue. Eventually, my husband distanced himself from the church and questioned his beliefs. Even though he stopped believing in an afterlife he still chose to have the last rites before he died. I guess he didn't want to take any chances. Our son was given the opportunity to choose after he turned sixteen (he wasn't baptized as a baby). He chose to be baptized then decided to be a non-practicing Christian. Go figure. Even though my beliefs differed from my husbands, it was never an issue since neither one of us tried to impose our beliefs on the other.

Betty Level 8 Nov 6, 2017

When I got married I was straying from the idea of church but still believed, he was an atitheist atheist. His questions provoked me to think and I eventually wound up an agnostic. We were polite to each other above all and could let the subject drop at any time so it never caused problems. (Marriage ended for other reasons.)

I would do it in only the same circumstances.

Depends on how much of a theist the person would be, if they insist on church and want to keep a bible around then that's too much for me.

I can’t respect people who can be so blind to the realities of the world.

Without respect, there cannot be love.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it is either never an issue, or it's the only issue. The ones that don't go to church/synagogue/mosque/temple/etc. are the best, because they don't care that much about their own soul to care enough about trying to convert and save yours. Still, you get a lot of crap from their side of the family, and it's just exhausting sometimes. Overall, I'd say it's worth it if it works, but if it is a problem that keeps coming up it probably won't last or will last way too long.

At one time I could/did. I have come too far to be able to respect someone who can swallow such obviously self-serving nonsense.

If there's no Proselytizing from any side, I have no problem sitting in the Coffee shop while their in church and letting any offspring exercise free will.

mzee Level 7 Nov 5, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.