Agnostic.com

17 1

If you were to worship a god or gods (assuming, at least for this question, that you don’t), what or who would your god(s) be?

The truest answer for me is that I worship my wife, and not just during sex—but certainly during most sex—but because the largest percentage of my waking hours dedicated to anything are dedicated to her, and to my kids. But worship in a I’m-totally-in-awe-of-your-brilliance kind of way (not that I’m not in awe of my wifes brilliance, but moving on), I would say Darwin is my God the father (I’m stealing the trinity metaphor for a moment), David Foster Wallace is my personal Lord and Savior, and Robert Sapolsky is the Holy Spirit that guides people to all knowledge. What about you?

AlistairX 4 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Worship in the religious sense involves showing reverence for, or honoring by observing rites concerning, a supreme being. There is no analog for that in my personal life.

Worship in the more metaphorical sense of reverence or adoration as one might for a deity, yeah, one could feel that way about a significant other, a child, or even non-living things or activities or concepts that one gets really excited about and devoted to. But to carry it past enthusiasm and respect into worship, I think, is way overdetermined and not particularly healthy.

Nice thoughts! As I think about what you're saying, I thought, "well, I still seem to observe 'rites' around some things, myself in particular, and isn't it true that I tend to think that my own thoughts are, in some sense, 'supreme?'" So could I say that I worship me or my thoughts? Maybe. What do you think?

@AlistairX You could in a sense I suppose, but I resist playing into the typical theist line that "everyone worships something, even if it's only themselves". The implication being that being an unbeliever is worship of self as counterfeit god. They're always trying to disacknowledge our actual reasoning for not affording belief to the unsubstantiated, because that is way easier than engaging with ideas for which they have no actual counter-ideas.

I do not think the need to worship or to submit to external authority to be inherent to humans. I think the need for belonging and refuge is generally inherent ... most mentally healthy people have some kind of social needs because we are hyper-social creatures. That does not have to degenerate into tribalism or mindless subservience to anyone or anything else or to external ideas, though.

There may have been a time for most people when it was a survival advantage to find the strongest clan or tribe and be subsumed within it; that might have been a rational choice under the circumstances, as you would exchange individuality for protection and some division of labor. It probably explains why we are still somewhat inclined that way. But increasingly it ill serves us in the modern world. Diversity is strength now; now conformity is the path to class hatred, xenophobia, and similar ills.

My answer is "truth." I want to know what's real, not persist in delusion — no matter how comforting.

I definitely didn't mean worshipping an actual god.

I've become so accustomed to worshipping nothing, I'm finding it difficult to come up with anything. It feels too much like I'm giving some of my power away.

I meant worship as dedicating time to, being awed by, etc. But I do get that feeling of giving away power. And I think I both like and dislike that feeling, depending on the context I guess.

When I still believed in deity I seriously looked into Chaos Magick. Most people see that as a left hand path sort of thing, but like I told them I would much rather work with the chaos in my life than against it.

So, in answer to your question, I would probably worship anything that has something to do with chaos.

Interesting!

I'd go for the Hindu gods. There are plenty to choose from and they're interesting.

Any particularly one or so that you can recommend?

@AlistairX Kali Ma or Ganesh

Woods, the ocean, the wind.... everyday brings new beauty.

Yeah, there is a massive hemlock on my property that, when the light hits it right, I sometimes think that if I was a bit more primitive, I could easily worship it.

Odin was my favorite when I learned of him in school. As a second, based on my further reading and learning I like this picture of Ganesha:

I listened to that american gods book a bit back and thought that it's hard not to love Odin, though it's hard not to hate him too.

@AlistairX Yes, because he procreated with Frigg and Thor was one of their offspring. Also, remember that we still have three of our days of the week named after them. 🙂

Knowledge if it could be personified into a god. I'd say Nature, but it can be a bitch sometimes, so knowledge of Nature is better.

I think that if there was to be one god, something to be revered as the natural source of all creation, I have no other name for it except the source of all creation, and that is scientifically unknowable at this time.

Only knowledge can be a path toward finding the true source of all creation, so until that is known, I remain agnostic, yet in awe of the whole production and happy to be a part of it.

Well worship 2 any God or Gods I can't...but just 2 play with this post .....I would worship the earth that we are all living on together.

Let's keep playing. So I could jive with the earth answer except that I'm pretty sure that the earth is becoming less hospitable for humans (and no I'm not going to take the 2 minutes necessary to google the answer because it probably will take longer than just 2 minutes), and ultimately the earth isn't going to last, so I think humans will be leaving this planet eventually. Thus the space ship that takes humans off the earth is, in a sense, more worthy of worship than the earth itself, no?

I would have a hard time "worshiping" anything. I am reverent of quite a few things. Does that count?

Della Level 6 Jan 29, 2019

Works for me! What are you reverent of?

This is my one true god

Logic.

That's logical.

This is a fun concept. I'd worship animals...and the ocean. Put 'em together and we have dolphins, whales and the birds who ply the skies....

That's cool. What about the ocean do you love?

@AlistairX It's the ''mother'' of us all.

Pantheism.

Dogs, humans could learn much from them. They can be fierce and fearless, loyal, loving - they love with their whole heart, playful - they never forget to play, truthful - you know quickly whether they like you or not, they are a very good judge of human intentions.

CS60 Level 7 Jan 29, 2019

Best answer! And wow, you look a lot like my brother, it keeps frightening me and making me excited at the same time.

@AlistairX Well, they say everyone has a doppelgänger. Although, it is intriguing ... we could play practical jokes on unsuspecting folks

I don't have a god or anyone I worship. There are people who blow my little mind and fill me full of awe by their amazingness. I suppose my children and my middle sister who just fills be so full of pride.

Nice!

Saraswati

Orbit Level 7 Jan 29, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276823
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.