Agnostic.com

12 0

What do you all think of this?

I feel like a person can change. Its about what a person is doing now, and not always focusing a persons past. We all have a past don't we?

twshield 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So many of these bad choices from the past are cropping up. I think we'd be more forgiving if people would own up immediately and apologize profusely. I know it's not always that simplistic. I also think there's almost mob mentality in our society right now..on BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

An apology is good enough for me, but that’s just my white privilege speaking I suppose.

I would be going after the school for putting it in the yearbook. They should have been expelled. I think ow un that time people tolerated it, but this was bad. He should resign.

Well, I can't throw any rocks. Can any of you?

Fuck yes, really big ones.

As in we have all done things we regret, so... "let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone"?

I tend to want to give him a break for something he did over 35 years ago. I'd be more concerned about if he continued to do stuff like that, but evidently he hasn't, or at least nothing has come to light as of yet. If there was a second instance, than I'd swing over the fence, as opposed to just sitting on it, and say he probably shoudl resign. In the meantime, I'd just consider him to be on a kind of "probation" and watch him closely to make sure he doesn't (still) carry racist attitudes.

His performance, as reported by the media, gives no indication of racism, so let him prove he is not the same guy with the poor judgement in the photo, but that he has changed.

@snytiger6 It is the fact the SOB is lying about the whole thing. He is a spineless turd. I will be happy to throw rocks at this guy untill I am to tired to throw them.

He needs to go. He won't own it. He is not much of a man, and certainly no leader. Douchebag deluxe!

To resign over this would be absurd

jacl Level 3 Feb 2, 2019

I think we try and hold persons in public office to a standard we don't hold ourselves to. The saying is "to know better is to do better" and from what I've seen of his record he has known and done better in the 40 years since the picture was taken.

GwenC Level 7 Feb 2, 2019

what is his behavior now?I mean beyond apologies and such.

@twshield even if has changed you really have to wonder about putting something like that in your MEDICAL SCHOOL yearbook no matter the year

@twshield you seem pretty neutral to me

There is nothing criminal or illegal in this poor choice of displays. The voters will decide come the next election. Just as Rep. (as in reprehensible) Steve King should not resign for his opinions, neither should the governor. Make amends in action. Tour schools & explain why this is an unacceptable & not humorous aspect of our history. Show leadership, & turn this fiasco into a teachable moment by modeling how one handles the sins of ones past in a public forum.

I think it is very fortunate that I will never be judged on the stupid things I did as a youngster, but saying that, I would NEVER have done something so overtly racist. He has apologised and he sounded sincere. We all make mistakes. I think he should be encouraged to spend time really understanding how racism affects people.

@HomeAloneSunday In that case he doesn't get it and should resign.

@twshield In the 1970s in UK they had this things on TV called 'the Black and White Minstrel show'. It was loads of men in exaggerated 'black face', singing with white women. It was variety and my parents would never have allowed that on their TV (more to do with it being low brow than the racial aspect). It was racist then and certainly wouldn't be accepted in 2019. It is the idea that an entire group of human beings can be banded together based on what? Slight variation in haplotype which is at its most complex a set of genetic determinants located on a single chromosome. This guy possibly had some misguided notion of making a statement, or being outrageous. I have known 100s medical students and they all work bloody hard and play harder. I am a forgiving person and strongly believe a life can be rehabilitated. However he MUST own this. It is wrong.

@twshield Back in the day we had slavery. What is your point?

@twshield Just because it existed doesn't make it ok. Capiche?

@twshield I have zero tolerance for racism. He was old enough to no better. This was not in the 50's or 60's, and now he is lying about the whole thing. He is also a coward. Like Kavanaugh, I wouldn't piss on this dude if he were on fire.

On a pragmatic level, the Democratic Party cannot let him off. If they do, then their claims against Trump are mute.

In another vein, he has not learned or changed really. His latest resoonse is that he can't remember which one in the photo he was. This suggests that the issue is insignificant enough in his mind as to care whether was in black face or kkk hood. Just because he says he's changed are just words.

It has become part of the political drama.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:279602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.