Agnostic.com

14 1

Church

Does anyone here still occasionally go to church or synagogue or mosque?

Mark9393 6 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Weddings, funerals and meeting and events that make use of there halls or meeting rooms. Around here many of the more traditional christian churches(like the Anglican Church) are so desperate to keep the doors open that they would have no qualms about renting their hall or meeting rooms to the Church of Satan if they knew they were going to get paid.

went to a co-workers funeral end of last year, first time since my father in law's funeral about 15 years ago. In fact only funerals since my brothers wedding about 35 years ago,

weddings and funerals are the only reasons I have been in a church in over 40 years

Weddings, christenings, and funerals and that is out of respect.

I went to a Mosque once in Turkey. Didn't like the way women and us unbelievers were required to go upstairs.

I would like to visit a synagogue sometime to see what it's all about. Any Jewish Atheists on here like to invite me?

As a Jewish Atheist I can assure you that any reformed synagogue will welcome you. We are taught to be far more open-minded than most religions.

I volunteer at my old church on occasion, but only when the event is objectively good for the community in which I live. I have attended funerals and weddings in which there are services. I don't find it offensive or annoying most of the time, just unnecessary.

The only services I attend are in support of family and friend. Weddings, christenings, and funerals. Although Al-Anon was held in a church basement, I don't count that as attending a service any more than I would for a bingo game.

Betty Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

I could handle going to a more liberal/progressive church--if some situation called for it. But, I will only set foot in the churches like the ones I was raised in to attend a funeral--and it is painful to do so as I know there will be a "come to Jesus so you go to heaven" message. PS I would also go to one to attend a wedding.

Except for weddings, no. Even for that, it has been over 20 years.

Since I attained right the to choose my religion at the age of 18, I have only voluntarily attended churches for wedding or funerals. I can't think of any other rational reasons to go.

I was a member of a fantastic singles Sunday school class for about 10 years, attended every Sunday and participated in the many activities they sponsored and would continue to do so had I not moved 100 miles away but I never set foot in the sanctuary, never knew who the minister was and never had any desire to do so.

1. Weddings
  2. Between job contracts, there's a networking group that uses a church hall; strictly unrelated to religion.
godef Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

Haven't darkened the door of a church since my realization that it is all false.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28032
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.