Agnostic.com

6 2

Sam Harris. What's your take on him? Why do some progressive media outlets label him a racist?

I do know that his "Islam is not a race" defense for his views against Islam is used by some to label him a racist. I don't understand why - because he criticises all religion with the same vehemence.

His some time collaborator, Maajid Nawaz, who served prison time in Egypt for being a radical Islamist, and who he calls a friend, has not left and is not interested in leaving the Muslim faith behind. Instead, the focus of Maajid's current work is to de-fanaticise Islam to be similar to the current Christian moderate (outside of the U.S.).

If Harris is racist 1: he wouldn't be supporting Nawaz's work, 2: he wouldn't be against Trump's "Muslim Ban", 3: he wouldn't suggest that innocent Syrian refugees should be welcomed into the U.S, etc...

Here is Harris on "Winning the War of Ideas" on Bill Maher's show last year:

What do you think of Harris? Why do some progressive media outlets (like Sam Seder's Majority Report) call him as part of the alt-right?

SamKerry 7 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems that for some reason we can openly criticize Christianity all we want but my goodness don't take issue with Islam or your a bigot.

gearl Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

I've heard him speak a few times. Sometimes I agree with what he says, sometimes I don't.
Kind of like just about everyone else.

"It is time we admitted that we are not at war with "terrorism". We are at war with Islam. This is not to say that we are at war with all Muslims, but we are absolutely at war with the vision of life that is prescribed to all Muslims in the Koran. The only reason Muslim fundamentalism is a threat to us is because the fundamentals of Islam are a threat to us."
Sam Harris, "Mired in a religious war", Washington Times (1 December 2004)

JeffB Level 6 Feb 23, 2018

I am a fan of all his work, racism is a label that doesn't make any sense as it abuses by all parties and Islam is an antisemitic death cult.

I happen to appreciate Harris' ideas...likewise, Bill Maher!

I admire Sam Harris and enjoy listening to his videos. I may or may not agree with everything he says.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.