Agnostic.com

29 5

VERY FIRST ALBUM/45
Don't think I've scene this post before but what was the very first album/45 (yeah, I know, I'm old) you picked out and purchased with your own money? Seen a lot of music posts recently and it got me thinking. Mine? The Wild Cherry album with 'Play That Funky Music (White Boy). I was in 8th grade and at the time it was a pretty cool song. It hadn't become the cliche/joke that it is now.

kmdskit3 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Roxy music. Flesh and blood Album.

Wow, weren't you just little Miss Sophisticated!

My first album purchase was Van Halen's 1984. I remember clearly that I thought the record was skipping when the intro to Hot for Teacher started.

I was a sophomore in high school, 1971, when a record shop opened in my hometown. Albums were $3.33 apiece (for 33 1/3). I bought 3. James Taylor / Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon, Jethro Tull / Aqualung and Jeff Beck / Truth. Money well spent.

I miss going into record stores like I did when I was a kid. I could spend hours just going through the racks. The late 60s and 70s were the best time for record stores.

Aqualung my friend don't you start away uneasy
You poor old sod, you see it's only me

Puff the magic dragon. My mom finally the it away while I was at school because she said she couldn't listen to it one more time, lol!

I did the same thing with 'Monster Mash' . Drove my parents crazy playing it over and over until I left it out in the sun and it warped!

When I was a little kid I usually cried because that loser little Jackie Paper abandoned Puff.

I have never bought a 45 or a single as we call them here.

First album I bought was Trilogy by ELP.

I'm pretty sure it was The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager. It came out a year before Michael Jackson's Thriller did, but I remember my friend was really excited about Thriller and I was excited about Long Distance Voyager... I went to her house and we made each other listen to each other's whole album. I didn't like hers, she didn't like mine.

Sorry, I do like Moody Blues but I gotta go with your friend. Prefer Thriller. 🙂

@kmdskit3 Later, I came to like it too. But at the time (1982), I'd never heard much Michael Jackson, and with all the tremendous hype around the album, I thought it was overrated. I appreciate his work now.

Out of his entire solo career I think I like 'Off the Wall' best.

@kmdskit3 There are some songs of his that I like, and I appreciate him as an artist, but I never really became a fan. Didn't hate him, didn't love him.

Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago

Does anybody really know what time it is...

@kmdskit3 Does anybody really care?

45? Oh man. Ok, I remember buying a bunch of 45s from a guy when I was a sophomore in HS. One that comes to mind is Green Eyed Lady, by Sugarloaf. I had others, but that one sticks out.

Can't remember the first 45, but my first album was 'Tommy' by The Who. Was just thinking: Started listening to them when 'My Generation' was out in '65. I got 'Tommy' in 1969...and I saw The Who last August in South Lake Tahoe...so they've been causing my tinnitus for over 50yrs!

Perfect!

Very first 45 I owned was Bird Dog by the Everly Brothers. First LP I owned was Then Play On by the original Fleetwood Mac

The Raiders (without Paul Revere): Indian Reservation. The next day I bought their album "Collage".

And all the beads we made by hand
Are nowadays made in Japan

It was a great pop album. Collage seemed to be something written and recorded after the band discovered acid, the change was so amazing. I still listen to both those albums every once in a while and they really hold up.

I was never into the new-fangled stuff. Pretty much 78s growing up.

Elton John's "Crocodile Rock" was my first 45. First album was Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors." Still have both (now all I need is a record player!).

Loved it when Elton John was on The Muppets and performed 'Crocodile Rock' . Muppet crocodiles sang the chorus.

I remember that!

1st 45 was "She Loves You", Beatles , 8th grade, with paper delivery job money.

With a love like that
You know you should be glad

Queen II... still listen to it

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla and Kiss - Kiss....I inherited a bunch of 45's when I was a tot...Elvis....

Which Elvis singles?

@kmdskit3 Return to sender is the only one I remember....my grandmother owned a bar, and when she sold it, she took her 45's out of the jukebox...they were stored in a basement that had serious mold and flooding issues, so they got tossed out years ago...

I think the 45s were the smaller ones, just one song on each side? I bought two at the same time. One was "Town without pity," by Gene Pitney. The other one was "drums of go-go," by Sandy Nelson. My aunt made me take "drums of go-go" off the record player before it finished. She said it was just noise.

My first album purhase was on cassette: Van Halen- "Diver Down"

I bought it as soon is I could and was disappointed.

JimG Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Yeah, I was pretty much the only one in my high school group who wasn't into thud rock. I was listening to reggae, ska, Elvis Costello etc.

My first album was also my last, Michael Jackon's Thriller. The first single I got was Ditty by Paperboy on cassette.

My daughter's first album was Thriller. She wore it out.

Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White by the Standels. I know there were probably earlier ones but that one I can see in a memory. Also, When a Man Loves a Woman by Percy Sledge.

SamL Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

Appetite for Destruction, Guns and Roses. Cassette tape.

one of the first 45/s I bought

My first album was Blondie, Parallel Lines. I played the crap out of that. I also used to have a stack of 45s as tall as I was.

Were you very tall? 😉

I hit the 6" mark in high school.

Ooh and Kinks Waterloo Sunset

First album record I bought was "The Young Rascals". First time I took it off the house, slid off the sleeve and broke... I just couldn't play the first song on each side. "The Young Rascals" were my first live concert too... And was first band I saw live twice, second time they were just "The Rascals". First 45, may had been "Honky Tonk Woman" The Rolling Stones. I think... whatever 45 that has for a B side "You can't always get what you want".

Good Lovin' is still an amazing song!

@kmdskit3 Also in the Midnight Hour. They were from Boston... blue eyed soul brothers... gene cornish, dino danelli, felix cavaliere, eddie brigati. Later Groovin, How can I be sure and Sueno.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28084
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.