Agnostic.com

10 6

QUESTION Atlanta bid for Amazon HQ2 gets new political problem: Georgia adoption bill

More than half of the 20 metro areas in the running for Amazon HQ2 are in states that lack LGBTQ nondiscrimination laws. Critics say that is reason enough to compel Amazon to not select any of those cities, even if they are blue cities in red states. Others, even some LGBTQ advocacy groups, argue that bringing Amazon into one of these states could lead to the development of a more progressive population and politics.

I'm not sure what I would do or what my opinion is here ... should Amazon say "no" to any city that does not have explicit LGBTQ non-discrimination laws -- or ones that have explicit anti-LGBTQ laws like the one Georgia is trying to pass -- or should they try to "blaze a trail" by bringing in new progressive blood? ... Is that even their "job"? ... What do you guys think??

evestrat 8 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rejecting a city in a state with homophobic laws is also a way of applying pressure.

Wouldn't the decision of who to sell to and who not to sell to ultimately be up to Amazon?

@evestrat I already thought you were! Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain!

@evestrat You changed your picture back. Good. 😉

I say, say no - and be very specific as to why.

We are seeing some corporations show some moral leadership by distancing themselves from the NRA. Amazon could play a similar role in Georgia. It would be great if responsible corporate leadership would begin to erode regressive and discriminatory politics! It could work!

I came out in Atlanta..it's the souths lgbtq mecca..Georgia on the other hand is a cesspool of Rethuglican gerrymandering and bigotry..one of the reasons I moved back north.

I came out in Atlanta..it's the souths lgbtq mecca..Georgia on the other hand is a cesspool of Rethuglican gerrymandering and bigotry..one of the reasons I moved back north.

They should boycott them, since money talks.

I'm not sure I really care much what Amazon does. Should we be looking to corporations to be the standard bearers for social change? I think it may be expecting more than they can deliver, even if they are progressive in some ways.

I really hope Amazon makes it clear that their business will go elsewhere if Georgia passes this stupid damned bill. I spent the better part of the morning calling the offices of my elected representatives. Reminding them that they serve ALL the people of this state, not just the ones whining the loudest about their religious beliefs. I also made it clear that I will be watching how they cast their votes if this stupid damned bill comes up for a vote.
I'm done playing with these assholes.
Money talks. Remember the ridiculous "bathroom bill" in North Carolina, last year"?
When a number of businesses and organizations make it clear to state leaders that if that bill was passed, their business would all go elsewhere. Including the NCAA tournament games.
The bill failed.
Like I said, money talks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28441
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.