Agnostic.com

13 0

Is there actually such a thing as Protestant Mormonism and Chirstian Atheism? Can these two philosophical concepts be a thing?

PS. I know its a thing. But does it make sence in the larger sceptrum.

SeanBab 4 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sound like oxymorons

The word Christian though co-opted by the followers of Jesus actually means nothing of the sort, since it means followers of the anointed one, and the Jesus of the New Testament was neither the first nor the last Christ.
For example
Johanist to this day call themselves Christian but revile Jesus as an imposter and usurper, believing the actual Christ is god himself and that John the Baptist was his ordained prophet on earth.

Mormons make a point of neither identifying with Protestant or Catholic churches, but claim to be a restored "Primitive" church.
In actuality many of their doctrines are actually Gnostic, Free Masonic and Hermetic

“Christian atheists look to Jesus as an example of what a Christian should be, but they do not see him as God, nor as the Son of God; merely as an influential rabbi.”

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

skado Level 9 Feb 10, 2019

Open up a Church and make some money. Don't tell them where you get your sermons from and if you were to preach from both books I'm sure they wouldn't have a clue. Every time I go past one of these establishments I can only imagine what gets them in the doors. On sundays they are always have a crowd. If you were to tell them that Jesus was a Dark Skinned Mediterranean will get you banned, but it is the truth. Go to Israel and see for your self.

I don't know what Protestant Mormonism would be ... other than in the sense that they are nominally (wish to be considered as) Christian and are not Catholic. If "not Catholic" = "protestant" then I guess they are. On the other hand if "protestant" = "descending from Luther's Reformation" then, no, they are not, they are much younger than that. There's also a definition of protestant that's "not Catholic and adhering to certain core orthodox doctrines" and since Mormonism fails some tenets of the historic church creeds, they would not be protestant by that definition either.

The polite term for Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and similar would be "restorationist" as these sects regard themselves as restoring long-lost orthodoxy to a long-heretical Christianity.

Christian Atheism is, definitionally, an oxymoron. I have heard the term a couple of times so I suppose it's an attempt at irony or provocative edginess of some kind. CHRISTians believe Jesus Christ, the son of god and savior of the world, is himself god, and those who believe in god(s) are, definitionally, not atheists. People could of course in some areas be cultural Christians and privately or even somewhat openly unbelieving in the Christian god, but that's just semantic sleight-of-hand.

Well if you believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, but do not believe in god then I can easily understand someone describing themselves as a Christian athiest.

Except that Jesus taught that he is god. He made those claims for himself. "I and the Father are one". "He who has seen me has seen [God the] Father". He claimed to exist before Abraham, to be equal with god the father, said he had the authority to forgive sins.

And then there's the little problem of the New Testament calling Jesus the Creator, that he holds everything together, is god manifest in the flesh, and a few other inconvenient claims.

The only (alleged) source of the teachings of Jesus is the gospels, and the teaching of Jesus himself include the teaching that he's god. Even if you reject the rest of the New Testament, you can't claim to believe the teachings of Jesus and not believe that he's divine.

The first I don’t care whether there is such a thing or not, and the second is complete nonsense. There are no such words as sence or sceptrum....so that statement is also complete nonsense.

I think you might admire and study the teachings of Jesus while rejecting the God-concept of the Old Testament. I don’t think Jesus was an atheist—far from it. You’d have to twist words and meanings to call yourself a Christian Atheist.

I always that Mormonism was a Protestant religious group. It is an outgrowth of Protestantism and never was connected with Catholicism.

Words are just words.

does it make sence in the larger sceptrum
Really, WHAT??

@flithyMONKEYmen A noble attempt at translation! I do not happen to speak Word Salad.

I guess Protestant Mormonism could be another Christian sect that combines aspects of both but Christian and Atheist is a bit too contradictory. You can't really be a Christian and not believe in god.

Dietl Level 7 Feb 10, 2019

If you want it to be. Think 'merca is a christian nation, the Constitution is founded on the bible, god is white and a conservative.

Wait, what?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:286209
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.