Agnostic.com

7 1

Physics mind boggle

If a super Galactic mirror appeared somewhere in the universe 10 light years away, and humans looked at it through a massive telescope, what would we see?

I am aware that we would see 10 years into the past and so we wouldn't see the mirror if we looked at it as soon as it came on scene. But let's say 10 years was up, would it require another 10 years to see our reflection? If not, why? If yes, what would the mirror look with a reflection that hasn't reached your eyes yet?

agnostictheist 4 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If it were sufficiently large to reflect enough light for us to recieve and see, we would probanly not see an image, but a ten year old point light source. No discernable image.

What ever is behind it.

Depends. Where is the source of light? If it is the sun, it would take the same time for the sun light to travel back and forth as our reflection. If the source of the light is much closer to the mirror, we won't be able to see anything BUT the source of light and our reflection would be washed out by that light.

For light from our solar system to reach the mirror would take ten years. It would take another ten years for the light to be reflected back.

JimG Level 8 Feb 11, 2019

You would see 20 years into the past. 10 years per direction that the lite travels.

Oh stop that, my head will pop

Some people seriously have way too much time on their hands...lol

How about this? We need to get up each morning, stand naked in front of the mirror, and then decide whether we should eat eggs and toast or skip a meal that day...much more "down to earth"...ha ha ha

Hahaha

@Amisja lol my head is popping today, too...some days, you know, like Monday...ha ha ha

I think about these things in the shower ?

@agnostictheist lol ok...I would think there are better ways to spend your time, but more power to you...go for it! ha ha

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:286998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.