Agnostic.com

10 4

SENTIENT INSECTS?
Scientists keep revising their "only humans can do this" boundaries.

When I lived on my eastern KY farm, my son tried to remove the tarp from a band saw on our deck, disturbing a hidden nest of bald hornets. They chased Nathan to the creek, stung him horribly, then crawled around all the house windows all day, buzzing loudly, daring us to come outside.

Later, I dressed in heavy clothing and sprayed the nest with poison.

Later, when I noticed a hornet's nest near the horse pasture gate, I was going spray it as well.
But one day, I saw a bald hornet snatch a house fly off one of the horses, almost under my hand. Flies were a problem during the summer, so I decided to spare the nest.

Besides, the hornets were peaceful, ignoring us as we passed through the gate only four feet from the nest.

My Blue Heeler pup, Naomi, however, wasn't so discreet. One day, she noticed the nest and decided to tear it up. The hornets were NOT amused..they chased her into the creek and wouldn't let her leave.

After that, Naomi had to go far out around the pasture gate and rejoin us, while we and the other dogs were allowed to go through the gate as before.

When my sister and her family visited, I didn't even remember the hornets, and they also left her and her children alone, no doubt because their scent was similar to ours, since my Blue Heeler did the same.

However, when her husband tried to come through the gate, they gave him a "warning shot across the bows" with a small sting. He complained, but they didn't pursue the attack, since he was with us.

When I had to come within a few inches of the hornet's nest to check on some fallen apples along the fence row, the hornets sent two guards to hover, one above each shoulder, to see what I was up to. They observed me gathering apples, and when I passed the nest they returned to the nest, since I had proven to be harmless.

From then on, I was allowed to squeeze past the nest to reach the apples along the fence without having hornet guards.

Pic: Me on Walking Horse, Banjo, with Naomi, the Blue Heeler pup, in 2004, near Soldier, KY.

birdingnut 8 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spiders aren't insects of course, but jumping spiders have always seemed sentient to me - they appear to notice and even take an interest in humans, whereas other spiders apparently do not. They use their pedipalps to communicate with one another; if you put your face near to a jumping spider and place your hands either side of your face to mimic the look and actions of the spider's pedipalps, it will respond to you.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

One hornet (or wasp, or ant) might not be very intelligent, but get a whole lot of them together in a nest or hive working together and acting to all intents and purposes as a single entity and suddenly you have an animal with a lot of neurons.

I've seen hornets catch large flies in mid-air, sting them and then fly away with them, presumably back to the nest to be eaten (I've also seen a hornet neatly snip a square of chicken skin about two inches square with its mandibles from a discarded takeaway). I've never found them to be in the slightest bit aggressive unless provoked, unlike wasps: I see them as being like men in bars - wasps are like the men who feel the need to act aggressively in the hope nobody will start a fight with them, whereas hornets are like krav maga instructors - they have no need to act aggressively, because if anyone starts anything they can end it in an instant.

@Stupidity's reply is interesting, since there's no suggestion that their son acted aggressively towards the hornets. I wonder if perhaps he smells like a predator to them and so sets off their defensive instinct?

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

Wasps are a highly evolved animal, and a very beneficial one as well. And generally if one leaves them alone they will live and let live. Generally, we had a nest on rural property one year that anyone who went near would be attacked. I'm sure colonies have different personalities just like people.

i had a couple wasps living in the wall, There was a crack between some boards in the window frame by my bed.Many mornings I would wake up with my face about a foot away from their tiny alien looking faces peeking out between that crack and staring at me. I just stared back and was never stung

Even plants are aware of our intentions.

I was camping in Southern Ireland asleep in our tent with my partner when a hornet stung the inside of my ear -I really don't know what it was looking for - the ear apparently hasn't much structure and something so percussive will alter it, my Dr. tells me so now that right ear is changing shape/structure all the time - it was a fair while ago about 15 years and I still have a very mobile right ear.

All life deserves respect even if you eat it. a wolf is no more important than an oak tree or a jellyfish or in fact an ant. everything eats something that is or used to be alive but you don't have to abuse any life at all. humans seem to have missed all this by completely raping the planet and doing what they like with nature.

That is interesting. My son always gets stung by hornets, I was stung once when he was a baby because I noticed him getting stung and had to defend him. I ended up poisoning the nests because they just couldn't leave him alone. I felt terrible having to do it, but they would constantly attack him, and I wanted him to be able to be outside in our yard. I wonder if this year they will leave him alone now that he is older, maybe a young child is more of a threat to them. They never bothered me, and I've been gardening for 20 years professionally, but for some reason they target him.

great observation!

i have a small band of paperwasps dwelling on a star yasmine on my deck. originally i decided to move them on, i.e. to cut their five little "dormitories" off the vine, but as they never warned me, even when i was hanging washing just inches from their nests, i just left them be. i can stand with my nose almost in their abodes & watch them ... they just watch back 🙂

My reward for making peace with the hornets..a FLY-FREE summer!

I have chooks, and a small yard. You would think flies, but we have these asian house geckos everywhere, they love flies in the day and mosquitoes at night, we have little trouble with either. So cool.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.