Agnostic.com

10 4

Do you find most people too selfish - or much more rarely too giving?

I have friends/former friends/people I know who know entirely how to look after themselves - to the point of undisciplined almost obnoxious narcissism. They have huge retirement funds and don't do a thing for anyone unless there is something in it for them in return. And then I have friends that are too giving. One is literally "transient" which means she lives either in homeless shelters or stays with friends or airbnb freebies. This person has an extensive resume and Masters degree in journalism. Another friend is insanely talented and undervalues his skills on craigslist. He's been close to homeless a few times It's a rare find when people know when to give and when to take. It's a balance.

UrsiMajor 8 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sadly Yes, I've found the world contains far more selfish/narcissistic people than it truly needs or wants.
I do my best to share any excess that I have with others, show kindness to those in dire need and even when it comes to collecting firewood from fallen, dead trees on a friend's property I replace each dead tree with a young sapling or 2 each time.

I agree with Susan Sontag: 10% of any population will be cruel no matter what. 10% will be merciful no matter what. The rest 80% can be moved either way.

I probably belong on that 80%.

This world is out of balance. The capitalist value says that selfishness is a virtue, and the self-love the highest form of love. Yet our biological need as a pack animal tells us we need each other and their welfare is important to us. We go back and forth, depending on situations, and find ourselves confused.

I think many people would love to do more and contribute time to help a lot of people...that is important when shelters and other places need bodies to help...

I do think people have at different times of their lives done something good and unselfish for a family member or stranger...most people, I would say...

I do find it odd that it seems those with the least amount to give are the ones who seem to do it the most...maybe because they have been there and know what it is like...

You said it...balance is the key for most of us...

are those actually the only too choices, the extreme ends of the stick? and you've loaded the question by answering it in the subject line. at any rate, most people i know are neither too selfish nor too giving. they may not be perfect but they're more or less balanced.

g

I find that people are too giving to the wrong causes for selfish reasons.

Personally I don't give a lot, I can't to be honest, but sometimes I buy food for the homeless. This makes me feel good; meaning it's a selfish act that happens to benefit the needy

Selfishness is a basic instinct in the human psyche, however that self interest sometimes manifests itself as altruism since cooperation and reciprocation can often lead to a better state of being for the human concerned.
This is the original basis for human society, one human is likely to be eaten by the saber tooth tiger, twenty humans together can kill and eat said large pussy cat, with enough for each and left overs for the winter.
Unfortunately and very quickly, certain humans realised this too can be exploited with many humans working together for the benefit of one special human, usually called a some variation on king or priest.

I think most of people surround me have a balance between giving and receiving. I am in an agricultural area, so there might be some to that, where everyone is used to helping each other and kind of old days here.
But I know I have a tendency of giving too much and always believing on others. Sometimes I have to force myself to be quiet so I won't put myself in an awkward position. A lot of people I have helped, are grateful, others (the self-centered) don't even bother with a thank you note.
My mother is just like me, she would see patients without asking for $ in return. Just good of her heart. If wasnt for my father to be financially organized, she wouldn't even be able to retire as a medical doctor.

They seem to be extreme on each end of the spectrum.

Just rarely find someone that really understands the nature of selfishness.

Throughout my life I have been accused of being too kind, too soft, too caring. It has invariably been used as an insult. I will not change, I choose to see the good in people (until they prove themselves otherwise) and if a person comes with an open hearted apology, I choose to forgive. It is me who has the right to live in peace that I try my best. I am virtually penniless and live month to month but honestly, I am happy. As my old Mum used to say, 'there's no pockets in shrouds!'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287628
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.