Agnostic.com

57 8

What made you an atheist/agnostic?

Hey! I have never used my account here, so I decided to make a question for a start. Consider me to be new.

Edit: Holy shit, I was not expecting such feedback. Thanks guys!

By angelotzovanis4
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (51 - 57)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brought up Catholic and have always struggled with my faith. Finally light bulb moment, its because I don't believe. I did not turn into a pillar of salt or had lightening strike me. I felf free; sort of what it must feel like a gay person coming out of the closet. I'm looking for a group that may believe in a higher power, but not all the "stories."

My mother and father by the act of procreation.

For me it was knowledge in biology and social theory that led me to the path of secular humanism. I enjoyed some of the life lessons I learned from Scripture as a Luthetan but was turned off by the absolutism of an arbitrary Creator that reflected the extreme ego of humanity to have a permanent life with only one ruler. I did not want to be restricted to that black and white faith-driven way of thinking, and many elements of the Old Testament merely seemed like rules from a bygone age, especially concerning sacrificial rituals and fastings.

There is also a power struggle by religions to gain followers and ignore the will of individuals. The increasing Christian radicalism and selfish interference in developing countries disgusts me tremendously, but it is the fundamentalist Christian blacklisting of scientific fact that has completely derailed my confidence in the Church. One doesn't need to have religion in order to have a moral compass, and I feel I learned all the lessons from experience and Scripture that are both relevant and meaningful.

If god is real, god sucks. You're a cutie.

Since I was a child I was skeptical

Since I was a child I was skeptical

Child rape. I was Roman Catholic for years. I could accept all the bullshit fairy tales, but then when the child molestation cover up happened,,, I said, "wait!,,, talking ? Snake, Noah's arch, 6,000 year old earth, walking on water, virgin birth"... All bullshit!

Coffeeman Level 7 Apr 22, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:287631'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!