Agnostic.com

3 1

Grrrrr.... Don't get suckered in by this book!

I wondered why I had never finished "The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ" and I finally remembered why.

It starts off all well and good describing his journey from India to Lasa. The imagery is nice and his explanation of Tibetan life in the 1800's is top notch. I was particularly intrigued by his description of the polyamorous lives of the Buddhist Tibetans. Fascinating stuff and I included a link to it below.

But once you get to the real nuts and bolts of the book ... a so-called description of the life of Issa (Jesus Christ) while in India in his youth ... it all falls apart. The vedic texts he supposedly copies word for word sound nothing like the actual vedas. And his description of the beliefs as well as his supposed interaction with a local religious leader have some serious errors.

Too bad really. It's an interesting theory that would have tightly wrapped up the vedic with the abrahamic. But it ends up with zero credibility when you actually read what he purports to have discovered (but which no subsequent religious student or explorer could verify).

This part is fascinating though. Check out how those old time Buddhist Tibetans lived.

[docs.google.com]

JeffMesser 8 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The title of the book tells it all and it makes me wonder how it became known in the first place. As usual I would demand evidence.

it was written in the 1890's by a Russian on a subject few breach. it had to draw curiosity.

Interesting...I just started to read. Will have to come back to it.

Reminds me of the Hindu religious fable/allegory about the woman who was fated to marry five brothers (the chakras, Im told). I'd had not idea there might be any cultural relevance to that bit of the tale...

I'd never heard that anyone thought he went to India. I wonder how many years that would have taken?

Carin Level 8 Feb 12, 2019

they had trade routes at the time of jesus' life. it wouldnt have been hard at all. the spice route and the silk route. he could have taken a caravan returning on the spice route then taken a boat south from yemen. Buddhism preceded jesus by a good 500 years. the 3 wise men were said by many to come from Buddhist lands.

"Saint Issa" they called him. I had heard his uncle (Joseph of Aremithea?) was a tin merchant who sailed widely for his trade, and kid Jesus started hitching rides with him in his teens. (You know, after the whole schooling the teachers at the temple, and before the suddenly showing back up and hitting the stage in his thirties.) So, yeah, no big deal to think he could have gotten around.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:288124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.