Agnostic.com

7 1

What does "freedom from religion" mean (compared to "freedom of religion")?

As I see it, there are two versions: In the weaker version "freedom from religoin" is just a synonym for "secularism": separation of church(es) and state.
But sometimes atheist activists propose a stronger version: In this case would that mean that as an atheist I would have the right not to come into contact with religion? But wouldn't that mean that religion would be banned from the public sphere, that it could only take place in the private sphere? But what would be the difference to so-called underground churches, as they are known from totalitarian societies? -

In my opinion, the demand for "freedom from religion", as it is sometimes put forward by atheistic activists (or what I called the stronger version), is not compatible with the foundations of a liberal democracy.

Matias 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Freedom From Religion means the freedom not to have Christianity written into law.

Orbit Level 7 Feb 13, 2019

@Matias Minorities have rights in a democracy also. That's why we have civil rights legislation, and that's why the founders insisted that no religious test should be a condition of elected office, and why they tried to keep religion out of government. They were Europeans, they had seen what centuries of religion can do to government, and it wasn't good.

If, by freedom from religion we mean the banning of all religion from public view, I think we have to be careful. The dividing line between what is considered religious and what is considered non religious is not all that distinct. Is a discussion about Universal Consciousness religious in nature, and to be prohibited? Is it religion to mention that ultimate reality lies beyond the world of our senses?

IMO you can not prohibit the public display of religion without violating the right to free speech. All you can do is prohibit government endorsement of any particular religious group, including atheism.

It's freedom of choice which is a value of Liberal Democracy.

To me, freedom of religion means having the publicly sanctioned permission to choose to accept or deny any or all religions. In Turn, freedom from religion means, as a matter of public policy, not any and all religions thrust upon me in any sense. That includes not having religious tenets enacted into law and made a matter of public policy, and freedom from being bombarded with proselytizing.

@Matias Majority rule is only one facer of a true democracy. A true democracy is also built on the underpinnings of a belief in the dignity and worth of all people, a free and open exchange of information and ideas, all ideas and ideologies being open to discussion and challenge, and equal and fair treatment under the law. Religiously based legislation and policies do not stand up to any of those standards unless they stand up and prove themselves independent of the religious ideology. . ,

@TheAstroChuck If there is broad agreement across the population about a course of political action advocated by a religious group, using reason and evidence to reach that agreement independent of religious ideology, I agree -but only if the action benefits all people, not just the religious ideologues.

Is it merely a concept though? Would it be possible for a politician that believes in a god and/or heaven and hell to not be influenced in some way by those beliefs? I say the best they could do is try.

I don’t think we can ever talk about freedom from religion as a practical concept for society as a whole. We can talk about it only in a personal sense....as an individual, I can say that I live my life free from religion. If we tried to impose this philosophy of no religion on society in general, firstly we would never succeed, but more importantly we would become oppressors, trying to impose our atheist agenda on others, something which is completely unacceptable. Freedom of religion means quite a different thing altogether. It means freedom to chose and follow a religion, or not, without any coercion or penalty.

The literal “freedom from” isn’t possible unless the right to religion is taken away. And even then, the religious folks would just go underground

UUNJ Level 8 Feb 13, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:288301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.