Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (76 - 92)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thank them. Prayer has a net benefit. It doesn't do squat for those being prayed about, but it makes the one doing the praying feel good. So, on aggregate, mankind benefits from somebody praying.

Others also feel better as they are being valued and helped.

Well, valued yes. That in itself may help the prayed for feel better. It's always nice to know someone cares. I don't believe that prayer will change an outcome if there is no other variable involved.

Personally, I appreciate it, because I know that that is THEIR best, and they've thought to offer that to me. I say "thank you" and carry on. #PoliteAtheist

It depends on the situation. If I am at a Catholic Hospital and a person walks into the room and says they will pray for me I thank them for their time and effort. I tell them I would be happy to pray for them and those they love. Nothing wrong with this situation as it has more to do with respect and being kind. It is not a lie as I was raised Catholic and know what the concept means. I would compare what I am stating to meditation as to their condition, Spending time offering comfort to another person is not a lie or conflicting for me. As it has nothing to do with God just my energy and thought being conveyed to another.

I just smile and move on. And when people ask me to pray for them, I just say I'm an Atheist but I'll keep them in my thoughts and wish them well.

I think that response was from Christopher Hitchens.

Usually just smile. If it's a close friend who knows my views, I may make a joke back.

I'll think for you...

Hutch Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

I say thanks. I never turn down positive thoughts.

I just thank them and change the subject. All are entitled to believe as they wish.

That’s cool

I tell them I'll rub my magic lamp for them.

If it makes them feel better, have at it! As long as they are not requesting I chant along.

Most people who say this don't mean it, it is just a place filler for "sorry your hurting" or some such. I am still a closet atheist for the most part so I just say thanks.

"Thanks."

They mean well in their own way. ?‍♀️ I have bigger fish to fry than a well meaning sentiment. Unless they mean in a "for your heathen soul" sort of way, then I might have more to say. Or not. I generally have better things to do than spar windmills.

I say to them how selfish they are -------- prayer has no property than to make the praying person feel good about themselves ......... It is the same as yoga ., tai chi, meditation , relaxation therapy etc ........... It has no other use !!!!

1. If praying helped anyone, no one would need anyone else to pray...
  2. Don't waste your time...
  3. I'll let you know if, if your prayer helped..(then never let them know.)
  4. Please don't.

Of course, most of the time, I don't respond, and hope they go away....

I say: "Do not pray for me. Instead, pray for the children like Gabriel Fernandez who was beaten, abused, and killed by his parents, had no one to help him, or stand by him in his last days..." They usually shut up after that. If not, I tell them to pray for themselves instead....HAHAHAHAHA. If they continue, I tell them to not pray but do something good in action instead, as Gd said: "these rotten people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"... HAHAHHAHA

Level 1 Aug 16, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.