Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depending on the context. Sometimes a a random unknowing person says itand I agree. However when others who know I'm not religious do it I take it out spite and usually my backlash is fairly violative.

Sometimes people just say it out of habit, without even giving it a thought. Just like we say 'thank you' and no further thought is given. But, I am still annoyed inside wishing they would just get real with me when reality is actually needed.

I'd say it depends on their intentions. If I just had something tragic happen in my life and someone says that while meaning well, I thank them and let it go.

It is more about them than me. So if they say they pray for me I just politely say: "Thanks." If it makes them happy, or they feel it helps, let them do whatever. Now, if they ask me to go down on my knees and pray with them, that's a totally different story.

I usually say thanks but have told somebody to pray for themselves and not me.

Me: How much will that cost?
Them: Nothing
Me: So how's your whole Friday looking?

I also express appreciation for their concern.

Politely say thank you.

I just say "Thank you, but you can just give me a hug instead."

Love it! Will try that

I'll reason for you. The real miracles come by the thousands every year down the street at the Hospital.

I just consider it an act of compassion and thank them. There may be some situations where I would protest, but I’m not sure what that would be at the moment.

I usually respond with a smile and a thankyou

If in public, I would not make an issue of it. But in private, I would just say you are not religious but very grateful for their concern and empathy.

I thank them for their well wishes, it would be rude to chastise someone for expressing care for me. Now if they offer to pray for my soul that is an entirely different situation, that does not mean me well at all it is in fact criticism of my action or myself and they can expect to be rebuked for their rudeness.

My most genuine response is a HUGE eyeroll. However, sometimes the person is not someone I would offend. In those cases I meekly thank them and change the topic.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

I tell them they can pray all they want but praying to their imaginary sky daddy isn't going to do anything and I didn't need no help from a non-existent being. That is if they are being rude or smartasses about it or something. Like "Oh, you are such a troubled person for thinking this. I will pray for you". But if an argument didn't occur for them to say that, and they are saying it to be nice because something bad happens, I'll either say it's not needed but thanks, or just say thanks.

"Sky daddy"? lol. Haven't heard that one before.

All positive thoughts are welcome.

If I am ill or going through hard times then I definitely appreciate the thought. But if I say I support LGBT rights and I get the "pray" response I tend to be a little more savage with my response. Depends on what the gesture implies.

I'll usually say thanks and let it go. Not always but most of the time. As with everything it depends

I have friends that genuinely believe and dedicate much of their life to help others. I also have acquaintances that use faith as a weapon. If a genuine friend says this I thank them for caring, otherwise I say pray for whatever you want, I'm going to sacrifice a goat, specifically I'm ordering chiva tacos at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

"Thank you. I appreciate your intention" and move on from there

I heard a atheist/humanist (i don't recall what he considered himself). speaker on radio once say that when people would say that to him, he'd reply something like "Okay, thank you. And I'll think for you."

please don't waste your time on my behalf

usually just say thank you.. and move on.. as with the bible, and any other religious elements, I take the best of intention of it, and ignore the rest. Now if they are foolish enough to try to convert me.. or ask me what I beliefs are.. that's a different story.

As a cancer patient people say this to me ALL THE TIME! ugh! In the past I’ve tried to be nice about it and just respond with “thank you” but after a while it started wearing on me so now I just say “okay” and walk away. Usually I’ll put an eye roll in there too for good measure.

Thanks for the thought, but if you REALLY want to help, try this...

bls63 Level 2 Oct 19, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.