Agnostic.com

11 3

Is universal cooperation possible?

"Morality evolved to enable cooperation, but this conclusion comes with an important caveat: Biologically speaking, humans were designed for cooperation, but only with some people. Our moral brains evolved for cooperation within groups, and perhaps only within the context of personal relationships. Our moral brains did not evolve for cooperation between groups (at least not all groups). (...)
universal cooperation is inconsistent with the principles governing evolution by natural selection."

From: Joshua Green: Moral Tribes. Emotion, reason, and the gap between Us and Them

Matias 8 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why evolve the meanest monkey in the jungle and then expect it to change it's mind? It certainly seems counter-intuitive, huh? Excellent points in the op, ty

Westerners are raised to reason logically, and employ the Hegelian dialectic--an implied winner and loser in any transaction--whereas Easterners use the Eastern or Naive dialectic. Fwiw the Bible can be read either way too, from either pov

Hegel develops the synthesis from the dialectic and so creates a third way, not a straight out winner/loser.

@Geoffrey51 I'm vaguely fam with the argument, but imo it is predicated upon competition, and I might argue that even deeming it a "synthesis" is a pointer to the flawed premise, i.e. you then have something "synthetic" so to speak, a la Pax Romana, Roman "peace," or even such notions as "Federal Reserve" or "Military Intelligence," or even "Keynesian Economics." It is a way to build profit zombies iow

I have jettisoned "morality". Now, I only think in terms of ethics...

Not as long as wealthy 'white' people and religion play a role in society. I'm not saying we're all bad. Just most of those at the top.

Not yet and possibly never as there just exists to many views>

Even though we might have evolved to be clannish that’s not the end of story. We are consciously aware entities, and we have the ability to look with love on all of nature, including even enemy tribes. We have no choice but to do so if we are aware, but it still might be necessary sometimes to fight against the enemy.

I dislike the word "enemy". Why must we have enemies.?

@Moravian Ideally we would have no enemies. Realistically the human race was forged in conflict— Read history and you’ll read of continual warfare. I view the human condition as neither good nor bad, but just as a part of nature. Things are as they are for reasons IMO.

As an old soldier, my body fought in a war but my true self was peaceful and loving.

@WilliamFleming We certainly have warlike history going back to the days when we lived purely in tribes. Then we fought over land and resources now we still fight over land and resources and have added differing ideologies to that.

Maybe evolution has turned us in to a species that cannot co exist peaceably which is very sad.

I have no enemies but then I have a comfortable safe life so it is easy for me.

@Moravian Manchester and Liverpool, Southampton and Portsmouth, Ireland and Britain. - conflicts have their roots in economy and society. Some of those roots lie in centuries of history. Individuals can resolve differences, but not so simple for socieities.

@Moravian, @WilliamFleming That's a good point William. Conflict is humanity's default position. Particulalrly with ourselves. From the point of self-awareness we have been forged in the fires of warfare, whether global, local or personal. We can only make peace with ourselves. Anything else is a distraction

@Geoffrey51 Unfortunately that has been the case historically but there is no reason why it should be in the future although I saw a senior army officer who's name I cannot remember stating that to be in conflict was the normal situation and it was abnormal to have peaceful periods. What chance do we have with people like that running our "defence ".

@Moravian That officer’s duty is to follow orders and he has no input regarding national policy.

What is needed IMO is for us to elect libertarians. I did my part.

@WilliamFleming I'm not sure about that. The tail may be wagging the dog at times. I cannot even remember the nationality of the general who was talking but his comments were quite chilling. He thinks war is good and we should be at a constant state of war. Maybe he read 1984 and thought is was factual history.

@Moravian There are some very war-like people who promote war because it gives them a purpose. Maybe we can overpower their bad vibes with love and respect.

@Moravian Unfortunately this is, as I understand it, the historic and anthropomorphic condition of social interaction. There are two states; war and preparation for war. I'll see if I can find the academic papers that support that conjecture.

Once we have modified our environment to be substantively different from our ancestral environment, our only corrective against the resultant mismatch is cultural evolution. Where cultural counterbalances break down, our animal nature is revealed.

skado Level 9 Feb 18, 2019

Conflict is the result of the coexistence of incompatibles. The road to 'harmony' is paved with incompatibilities.

Yes, it is possible. Just very unlikely.

Mankind can agree in thought (UN Declaration of Human Rights), but it is much more difficult, if not impossible, for Mankind to agree in action.

cava Level 7 Feb 18, 2019

that is where intelligence and education need to step in

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:292635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.