Agnostic.com

19 12

What I find in the dating world too often is once someone finds out you're an agnostic, atheist or a non-believer they automatically associate that with sexual promiscuity. Many religious men and women believe that religion is the only basis for Morality. many atheist and agnostic men also believe that monogamy and sexual morality is just archaic Christian control, so you are now open to be free and explore. There is no link between the religious and the non-religious when it comes to sexual morality.

Kojaksmom 8 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree on this one.

If it harms someone else in any way, it is immoral in my opinion.

I totally agree. I use the word promiscuous from its strict definition. Frequent sexual encounters with indiscriminate partners. Nowhere in the definition of promiscuity can you make an assumption that no one is being harmed

I joined Match.com a few years ago. I listed myself as an atheist. Women liked that because they figured I must be a genuine guy, and not a con man, to openly list myself as atheist. Most con artists pass themselves off with a Christian wrapping. It's too bad most people associate agnosticism or atheism with sexual promiscuity. Certainly not the case. I think it takes a more moral person to be a non-believer than to be a Christian or some other mainline religion. My own take on marriage is it's primarily there to bond a couple together who are in the stage of life when they are having children and raising them. That is a big job and requires strong commitment. If you are not looking to have children with someone, I don't see the need for a marriage contract, which is just a business contract under civil law. Women tend to be more interested in marriage than men because it's instinctive for women to seek commitment. For almost all our human evolution pair bonding meant having children, and most people didn't live beyond the age when they were fertile. With longer life spans now women should rethink their need to own and control a man when both are past the age when they want children.

@skeptic99 You think us women have a "need to own and control a man?" Ewww...that is quite a sexist (and wrong) comment. And women tend to be more interested in marriage than men? Please...not in my world.

Again, atheism is simply no god belief. Any so-called atheist or agnostic could be anything else politically, morally or otherwise.

Yes and that's the fucking saucepan calling the Kettle black.

I agree. It's made it almost impossible for me to find a relationship of late because I won't do hook ups or anything. In my 30 years of life I've been with only 2 women sexually and both from long term relationships I was thinking at the time would end in marriage. I've been agnostic since I was 10, when my argumentative and questioning nature disproved god in the middle of a church service.

I suppose I follow a Buddhist idea of sexual misconduct. I don't give a s*** what anybody else does, but if you use your high sex drive and your desire to have sex with as many people as you can and use it as a weapon to injure others that is what I determine being promiscuous

People tend to make assumptions based on their own bias this is just a case of that happening. Most men think with the smaller of their two heads. Put these two thinks together and this is the result.

Lol yes, you understand!

Monogamy, commitment, and sexual morality are an indication of ones morality and decency. As it has been shown time and again by the flashy televangelists they can have no decency and have god forgive them, thhhhpppptttt. I believe it is best to do the right thing and be true to yourself and your commitments no matter what they are regardless if someone may or may not see.

Let me clear up a part of what I said. I don’t hold any judgement over another’s life choices . Just mine and that is what I try to live by.

If someone, for Any reason, decides you are "promiscuous", dump them immediately, like the bag of smelly trash they are, and thank your lucky stars (or whatever!) that you have wasted no more time on them!
On the other hand, I see no reason you, or anyone, should be announcing their beliefs until you are way intoknowing each other!

I said assumes you are promiscuous

@Kojaksmom and the difference is???!

@AnneWimsey I will indeed announce that I'm agnostic I don't want to date a Christian

I don't think that sexual promiscuity has anything to do with morality. Morality is different for different people, nor religion. It's about who you are. Mutual respect for partners is what the couple decides it is. At least if we're talking about sex. Morality is in the eye of the beholder.

I have a tendency to disagree perhaps sexual misconduct is a more appropriate term. Say you're married you have four kids. you later find out that none of your kids are biologically yours, and you had no idea. Would you be angry at your wife because of her careless Reckless and immoral l Behavior? Sexual promiscuity I believe is very different from alternative forms of relationship f**

@Kojaksmom In how steve is talking no you wouldn't. Because the couple decided on that open relationship. It is no fault of her own that she got only got pregnant from other men while following the agreed upon terms off the relationship.

@Pernbronze that to me is not promiscuity. that is what I refer to as an alternative form of relationship screwing. If that's going to be the case, in an open relationship, know a man shouldn't care if he's raising someone else's kid

@Kojaksmom If your in a monogamist relationship then promiscuity is morally wrong. What the real problem is as I see it is If you truly care for your partner It's the trust and the damage you cause to that person and the relationship your cheating on. (assuming you really care). It's the hurt you impose on your partner thats immoral.

Morality, including 'sexual', is inborn and self-regulating. Interference with it is what causes the epidemic emotional plague and damages our ability to behave naturally and spontaneously in healthy ways.

Human sexuality existed long before imposition of Patriarchal compulsive 'morality'. Associating sexual conduct which is natural, with artificially imposed codes of sexual conduct, many of which are pathogenic, is the invention of sexually sick old men to begin with. Such codes enable them to control others; satisfyiing secondary drives to acquire power over others in the 'name' of invisible deities which they always conveniently represent.

Who are the deities? They are predominently all-powerful elder male figures with the same kind of sexually sick expectations as the Patriarchs that invented them.

Sexual immorality to me is a difficult topic because human f** essentially is about breeding and not about satisfying our own needs. A theory has been put forth that males are responsible for the concept of marriage. The thought process behind that is that it's difficult for a man to know for sure if a female is carrying his offspring. Marriage ,I believe ,is important if you're going to be a breeder. Family is basically one of the few ways which we know who we could breed with and who we shouldn't.

@Kojaksmom Natural, healthy sexuality includes 'breeding' but is so much more and so much more important in the cohesiveness of a pair and a family. Limiting it to breeding, as Patriarchal, pathogenic notions of sexuality do, I believe is at the root of many physical and mental illnesses.

I always assumed monogomy was created for 2 reasons, to guard from jealousy and to prevent the spread of disease.

@Akfishlady I always thought bearing and raising children is keeping women in line. My concept of promiscuity is using your sex drive as a weapon. To say that your sexuality has nothing to do with your morality basically is saying that your only fucking yourself . there are consequences to your actions when you involve another person. The morality comes through when you take into account the other person.

@Pernbronze , and perhaps to ensure that you're not f** your offspring

It's all about what you feel about it.

I was raised to be religious, and only ditched church and belief in the Bible in recent years, yet I was never promiscuous, and have been celibate since my divorce in 2010.

Not from morality, though. I'm demisexual and the whole sex with strangers thing is revolting to me. Ew! It takes me over a year to warm to someone and experience sexual attraction, and then it's only for that one person.

I'm mildly panromantic, though, so can sort of fall in love with anything-with no sexual undertones.

I agree with you. Just because you don't believe in a higher being, you have no morals. It's ridiculous!

*Did you hear that Baptist's don't recognize each other in adult bookstores or liquor stores?

Exactly!

What does sexual promiscuity have to do with morality?

Promiscuity is, I'm my opinion , sex with large numbers of indiscriminate people. It's quite impossible to achieve this without being disrespectful ,dishonest and causing hurt feelings, confusion and possible life threatening health issues for others. It's quite different from other forms of alternative relationships which the truth is put out on the table and everyone knows the consequences.

Especially depending on which definition of promiscuity is being used, anywhere from some to many people believe that promiscuity is immoral (something that is bad, as opposed to something that is good). If by "promiscuity" one is referring to non-discriminatory sex, a lot of people would consider that bad - if only because of the increased likelihood of passing around diseases and interfering with the relationships of others.

If by "promiscuous" one only means "many transient affairs" there is a whole lot more room for debate, and agreeing to disagree after just hearing each side, without any or much debate, seems very reasonable.

The side claiming it is moral argues that it is the natural human desire, and as long as precautions against spreading disease are taken, it's probably okay. There is a further subdivision where some say that one should not participate in cheating - even if it is just sex with a partner who has promised their longer-term partner that they won't have sex with anyone else while they are in a relationship, or will disclose to their longer-term partner that they are getting involved in a sexual relationship with someone else, but ended up deciding not to keep that promise. Others will argue that it's fine even under those conditions because their other relationships are none of their business, or that something must be wrong with their relationship anyway for the partner to not keep that promise, so it doesn't really matter. There are other slight variations in the "it's moral" side, but the overwhelming consensus is "no harm, no foul."

The side claiming it's immoral claim that there is harm, so there is a foul. They claim that the greatest happiness in a relationship comes from a bond that is solidified with only having sexual relations with one long term partner, or at least one long term partner until that relationship ends, then only with the next long term partner. They consider that too many partners leads to comparisons, even if unspoken, that lead to dissatisfaction (this partner is better st this part, that partner is better at another part, a third partner is better at something else, etc.leading to chronic dissatisfaction because there is always something missing that is still fresh in their memory. Partners will also remain less adapted to what works best with each of their partners, so they are always less in rhythm than they could otherwise be). They also claim that multiple partners weakens the bond between 2 people, depriving them of the connection that would be most satisfying, and in at least some cases, causing various levels of emotional damage.

I straddle the fence. I believe that there are some people more suited to the poly lifestyle, others more suited to the mono lifestyle, a few who can make the poly + mono lifestyle work, and probably some people who are best off going through a phase of promiscuity. I'm mono, and I rather doubt that I will try the poly + mono lifestyle again. Had it worked out to be anything better than a colossal disaster spanning 3 years the first time, I probably could have been okay with it, or okay enough with it. Even if it had just turned out to be a failed experiment, I'd have been more willing to try again. I really don't think that after that I'm up to trying again though, yet it's possible that in some kind of case I might be willing - but only if that were put on the table in the beginning or, which would hurt but may be tolerable at the very least before marriage (not that it is likely at all that I would go along with the piece of paper ever again, but an unofficial commitment to make best reasonable efforts at permanency could be appealing with just the right person for that, and the expectations as would be present in marriage would apply). Changing to a poly arrangement after making a long term mono commitment would irreparably damage my trust in this person. I could possibly still be friends with this person, but that would just be the best case scenario to be expected. Of course that's just me and what seems right for me. I don't pretend to know for sure what is best for everybody, though I basically believe there is no one right answer for everybody.

Personal opinions about "morality" are irrelevant. There are no universal moral codes pertaining to sexuality. Most human societies over the vast majority of human prehistory and history did not institutionalize monogamous marriage and recognized different forms of "promiscuity" as inherently moral. Orgies were usual events throughout most of human history. There simply is no way to tie any one type of sexual behavior to "morality."

@Mike007 because when you use your sexuality as a weapon against people and hurt them that makes you a pretty f*****-up person

You can use logic as a weapon against people too. That doesn't make logic immoral.

@LukeJWalker currently there are no societies that endorse f** your children. Incest it is a universal taboo.

@Mike007 oh your welcome

Wrong. Actually in many cultures there is approved sexual contact between adults and children. In some cultures boys felate older men as a rite of passage in their young teens. In many cultures older men may freely have sex with young girls of a lower class. There are no "universals" when it comes to sexual norms.

@LukeJWalker no it does make logic immoral. It makes using logic as a weapon immoral.

Personally, I find the religious to be far less "moral".
They base their morality on fear of pissing off their god, and winding up in Hell.
Morality based on being a self-imposed victim of extortion is not morality at all.
They just think they are. As far as sexuality goes, they're also far less moral than
non-believers. They're also hypocrites.

I agree

Polyamory is popular among freethinkers, but I am a serial monogamist who has been single way too long. I think it is common to feel like your kind is over or underrepresented. I don't think it's agnostic "men" per se either, even though you are bound to interact with more of them.

I am too, the the only time sexuality and morality are divorced is when I'm doing myself only. Lol

@Kojaksmom polyamorous relationships are not immoral. Neither is casual sex. It's only immoral when there's force or coercion.

@DJVJ311 I would add lying, deceiving withholding information, ulterior motives, I'm not a big fan of a hard dick has no conscience Club.

@Kojaksmom that's all coercion in my book.

@DJVJ311 coercion is force and threats. Does not cover the ground of dishonesty and sheer assumption the other is a agreeing party..

@Kojaksmom hmmmm... I've seen articles on. "reproductive coercion" to include women lying about being on birth control and such, so I thought it was broader. My bad

Catholic girls ........nuff said

One of my favorite Frank Zappa songs.

Lol true

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29364
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.